TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Acohol is becoming a problem - April 12th 2012, 10:55 PM

I think I might be developing an alochol addiction.
That sounds so stupid coming from a 15 year old. I know. And it sounds even stupider coming from me.

I have days where all I look forward to is getting in from school and drinking glass after glass of wine. Once I get started I don't seem able to stop. I guess the reason I do it is to try and get away from all of the bad stuff that's going on. It gives me confidence and makes me feel better.
I've been really afraid of making a thread here because I don't really know what to say or how to ask for advice. I just know that it's becoming a problem.
Any help/ information would be really appreciated (:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Acohol is becoming a problem - April 12th 2012, 11:45 PM

Hey hun!

It is NOT stupid coming from a fifteen-year-old. You can get addicted at any age and alcohol is a very addicting substance. Alcoholism actually runs in my family, so I would know.

The fact that you are admitting you are having a problem is perfect! That's the first step towards recovery! A lot of alcoholics go into denial about it. The fact that you are being open and wanting to work on this problem is perfect! Also the fact that you are catching yourself young and trying to stop now shows how amazing you are! Although I'm not sure my dad realizes it, I'm pretty sure he was an alcoholic when he was a teen because he used it to cope with bad home life. The problem got worse and worse until he finally got help when I was in middle school. He's a recovering alcoholic right now! I'm so proud of him! It's something I know you WILL be strong enough to go through too!

Have you tried confining in your parents or an adult at school? You should really try telling someone about it. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress right now and you should be able to get help with handling it. Everyone deserves help! You also deserve to be happy and deserve to feel happy without the need of a substance. If you are worried about telling your parents, it might be easier to try with an adult at school since they tend to be a little less judgmental and can explain it to them in a more calming way.

Opening up to your friends can help a lot too! They can be a shoulder to cry on, open ears, and also help motivate you to make more positive choices. I have a friend who would drink and smoke pot. Personally, I wasn't into that stuff. I never pressured her to quit, just was there for her when she didn't want to do that stuff. It eventually made her go straight edge. Your friends can be there to help you get through this! It could be planning to have a movie night, or a study night, or something so you won't just go home and drink. They can also help limit the amount you drink when you are drinking with them. Maybe set a rule to only allow you to drink a certain much and that they need to take the bottle/glass away no matter what.

If you want to look into treatment/ect, here's an article that might help. It talks about adolescent substance abuse and can help you figure out what to do. Click here!

I can find more online resources if you would like.

I hope you start feeling better! You aren't alone in this battle. You can pm me anytime, whether you need support, advice, or even someone to rant to! I'm always here and will respond as quickly as I can! Stay strong!

Sometimes all you need to do is sprinkle a little glitter on someone's raincloud to blend them a rainbow.
Having a bad day?
Need some glitter?: Look, Listen, & Love
(note: I do not own the first two)
PM me ANYTIME if you want to talk!
I'll listen. You are not alone.

Last edited by Raining Glitter; April 12th 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I fail at typing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Acohol is becoming a problem - April 13th 2012, 06:43 PM

I'm not sure whether I'm at the stage where I'm needing treatment. I mean, at the moment it's simply a bad habit. I guess I just need to break the habit.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, but it is absolutely amazing that he's in recovery! That's a really great sign.

Thank you for all of the encouragement and information. It really helped.
You're wonderful <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Acohol is becoming a problem - April 14th 2012, 02:08 AM

I'm glad I can help! Yeah, I'm very proud of him. and hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

The thing about addictions is that the person almost becomes dependant on that substance to be able to function through out the day. I know because I have an addicting personality and am constantly on the lookout for developing them. A great way to figure out if you are addicted or not is to give up the substance for a while, maybe a few weeks or a month. If you are able to resist the temptation you can handle the substance well and just need to make a ber plan to consuming it responsibly. If not, then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea in getting help. It's better to cut this problem off at the bud instead when it developers to a large degree of a problem. It'll be harder to overcome and give you stress that you don't deserve to face.

Sometimes all you need to do is sprinkle a little glitter on someone's raincloud to blend them a rainbow.
Having a bad day?
Need some glitter?: Look, Listen, & Love
(note: I do not own the first two)
PM me ANYTIME if you want to talk!
I'll listen. You are not alone.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Acohol is becoming a problem - April 14th 2012, 07:56 AM

Hello there, it seems like Raining Glitter has taken care of the important parts. I really urge you to stop while you can! Although it may be hard now, I believe you can still stop drinking (although it may be a little uncomfortable at first!). You can always try and substitute the wine with a fake wine or fake champagne that tastes like it has alcohol in it when it actually doesn't. You can find these in supermarkets.

Like you said, it doesn't seem like you're at the stage where you need help; that's why you really need to put a stop to this now while you can! Use whatever means possible, I just don't want to you have to rely on alcohol to feel better, that's when you know you're in trouble... Right now it's just a bad habit you need to get rid of, and get rid of you will. I'm here for any support!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

Closed Thread