TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Loneliness If you're feeling lonely, isolated or down and need support and encouragement, this is a forum for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

A lonely summer - June 21st 2012, 06:54 PM

Not even sure if this goes here, so I'm sorry because I couldn't tell what would be the best forum.

I'm moving 4000 miles away from home to go to school. I don't start until like September though so I won't be living on campus (or even really near my school for that matter) for over a month. I don't know anyone where I will be staying and I don't really know the area too well either. So it's either going to be a very lonely month and a half for me or I need a way to meet some people.

I would say I'm a pretty social person, or at least back home I was. But back home I had places to easily meet other people my age. Where I'll be the rest of my summer, I won't be working or going to school so I need some ideas as to where I can find people to hang out with. Also, I won't have a car but I think the metra might almost go all the way out to where I'll be staying, so that will probably be my form of transportation.

I know that 6 or 7 weeks isn't really that long, but this is also where I'll probably be staying during my Christmas breaks and possibly all summers after this because it might cost too much for me to go all the way back home. And having friends out here would be nice, you know?

So give me some ideas on how I can meet some new people in a new town, please.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BestFriend Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,087, Level: 12 Points: 7,087, Level: 12 Points: 7,087, Level: 12

Re: A lonely summer - June 26th 2012, 03:48 PM

join clubs, learn some new languages, new sposrt, go out...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,959, Level: 13 Points: 8,959, Level: 13 Points: 8,959, Level: 13

Re: A lonely summer - June 26th 2012, 08:40 PM

Hey there,

There are lots of things you can do to make new friends and meet new people; a good thing to do would be to start doing activities you like to do or maybe pick up a hobby that you'd like to give a try and look into joining groups in your chosen activities close to where you are studying. I'd suggest something like a sport you enjoy or would try out or maybe you could start something creative like art or music? What about making friends with your room mates attending your school and going out and getting to know them a couple of times a week?

Before you leave home it may be helpful to research activities near to where you are studying so you know what kind of things you may like to apply when you get there.

I hope you find something which suits you!

Take care,
Lex
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

Re: A lonely summer - June 26th 2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Lex~* View Post
Hey there,

There are lots of things you can do to make new friends and meet new people; a good thing to do would be to start doing activities you like to do or maybe pick up a hobby that you'd like to give a try and look into joining groups in your chosen activities close to where you are studying. I'd suggest something like a sport you enjoy or would try out or maybe you could start something creative like art or music? What about making friends with your room mates attending your school and going out and getting to know them a couple of times a week?

Before you leave home it may be helpful to research activities near to where you are studying so you know what kind of things you may like to apply when you get there.

I hope you find something which suits you!

Take care,
Lex
Hey there, thanks for the reply!

The thing is, I'm not looking to meet people where I'm studying. I already know a few people at my school and I know the area decently enough. And it's a college town so there's always stuff to do.

But I'm talking about the rest of this summer before I go to school. I will be in a different state (not my home state, not the state my school is in) for about 2 months. So... yeah. Haha. There's not really anything to do there, that I'm aware of anyway.
Closed Thread