TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuck.in.time Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ani ;p

Unhappy Friendships at School - July 27th 2012, 12:13 PM

Hi!

So. Well this is my first thread... so I'm sorry if it's weird!!

But thing is I was just wondering how have any of you dealt with not having a best friend. I haven't had one for a little over 3 years and well, is this normal?? Am I doing something wrong?- I just kind of wish I had someone to talk to. I have lots of people I get along with, but very little 'close' friends. When it comes to classes, no one will sit next to me. By that I mean, that they're not trying to ignore me, but I mean your friends would want to sit next to you right?? Well, mine don't. And during class time, when people are talking to their friends, I'm often left out, but it's not intentional. I just feel really lonely at times (even though it's nothing compared to anyone else's pain; so sorry for being such a weakling) and school was sometimes the only thing I ever enjoyed.

So I guess what I want to know is:

- how to deal with not having a best friend?
- how to become best friends with someone?

I know it's time to move on and let go... but I can't. I'm just... Stuck.in.time

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Friendships at School - July 27th 2012, 07:28 PM

Yes, I have been in that position, and I think everyone has atleast once throughout there lives. I think almost all of us have friends of some sort, but that is hard for some people is to make those friends, into best friends. Well simply you cant force something like this; it takes time, and it takes alot of patience. Some friends aren't made to be best friends, and others are. So, your best bet is try to start talking to your friends more. Start a conversation with them, hangout with them at school events, or after school, text them, etc. If they start to become closer to you, then great, but if they don't, then they are only 'friend' material and not worth having them as a good friend (best friend). Finding a best friend(s), or close friend(s), is not an easy task, and is a trial and error process. Stay strong, get more involved with your current 'friends' and see where things go.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuck.in.time Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friendships at School - July 28th 2012, 04:28 AM

Okay, thank you soooo much for the advice Chris!! I'll try out those suggestions.

I know it's time to move on and let go... but I can't. I'm just... Stuck.in.time

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Friendships at School - August 2nd 2012, 04:42 PM

Hey Ani! I kinda have the same problem as you too, and it's okay not to have friends in school. If you wanna befriend someone, to me, the best class to make friends would be in a class in which your pretty strong in.. In other words, a class in which you feel smart in so people would want to be your partner and then you can make friends with the people who want to be your partner. If you wanna have a best friend, you gotta talk to people and find the person you feel that you trust a lot and the other person trusts you too. And to deal with not having a best friend, i think you should talk to the people you talk to or join some clubs and sports activities; it's a great way to meet more people and make friends. Well that's all I have to say.. Hope my advice helps out

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Friendships at School - August 2nd 2012, 09:34 PM

I never had friends in my classes, I'd usually sit in the back row and be that person who had no one to talk to unless I talked to random people who weren't even my friends in the slightest. I had people I considered my "best friends" but they were young or older or in the college streamed classes (I took university streamed classes) OR were in french immersion which meant they had a diff schedule from other university streamed kids. And most of those supposed friends never made me a priority back then, so even when one of my friends was in my class they'd end up working with other people. I'd always end up asking teachers well ahead of time if I could just work alone on group projects because it was better for me to be able to say I WANTED to work alone rather than be THAT person who couldn't get anyone to make me their first choice, cause it made me feel like a loser even though fact of the matter was people liked me well enough, I am just an introvert so I've only ever had a few good friends. Like anyone who I call a "good" or "best" friend is one of the few, like right now there are maybe 3-4 of them where I currently and they're pretty much the only people I hang out with on a regular basis, all the rest of my friends are like meh... Don't sweat it to much you're like a lot of people and all you can do is be patient, eventually you'll meet that person who you just click with

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Friendships at School - August 2nd 2012, 09:57 PM

It's normal, I am the same way you are, I have ONE close friend now, but I haven't really designated "best friends" since grade 7 or 8, and I'm going into grade 12 now. I'm not going to tell you how to MAKE a best friend because I don't really think it's...(well I'm not sure how to say it) but it's like claiming labels like emo, nerd, cool kid, bi, gay, straight etc...I just don't think labels are necessary. You have people you get along with and that's all you really need. Sometimes you just have to MAKE a place for yourself...maybe try stepping outside of your comfort zone and make a new friend or two. Have you tried planning something yourself? Maybe you could try inviting a friend you'd like to be closer with to your house for a movie night or spa night at home, maybe even go out somewhere, go shopping etc. Theres all kinds of things you can do.
I wouldn't sweat it though, sitting alone in class can actually be beneficial I find because sometimes friends can be distracting. Hope this helped at least a little. Take care

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
aoife_xx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friendships at School - August 2nd 2012, 10:49 PM

its not thatimportant just talk to some new people

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stuck.in.time Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friendships at School - August 5th 2012, 06:25 AM

Hi all!!

Thanks for all the really helpful advice you have all been giving. I'll keep them in mind and just keep trying.

You've all been really helpful! THANKS!!

Closed Thread