TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Arrow Young Carers - August 25th 2012, 08:55 AM

Young Carers

Well hello! I'm a registered Young Carer and I have created this thread for fellow young carers or someone who has questions about our roles or people who think they might be one.

What is a young carer?

Well a young carer is someone between the ages of 8 and 18 who looks after an ill or disabled member of there family. It could be helping medication, doing household jobs. Or providing support anything really.

Well that's all for now

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Young Carers - September 3rd 2012, 09:33 AM

I have a question. Can someone be a young carer if they have to take care of their younger siblings because their parent is busy looking after a disabled child? I just ask because my friend has to be home from school straight away, and sometimes take time off school, to look after her younger siblings because her parents are working and looking after another child who is disabled.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Young Carers - September 4th 2012, 08:17 PM

Hester, I would personally count that as a young carer. I think anyone having to take on extra responsibility because of soemone in their family who is ill or disabled constitutes as a young carer.
I was a young carer. I spent most of my free time from 11 till I moved out at 18 helping my mum out with my younger brother who has learning disabilities and autism. I also had to care for my mum from the age of 15-16 when her kidneys were failing. It was tough, but it definately taught me the skills that I need for the job I have now - would you guess I'm a carer for adults with learning disabilties? I absolutely love being a carer, even though I didn't always appreciate missing out on seeing friends, but it's done me more good than school ever did

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Young Carers - September 4th 2012, 11:23 PM

Hey guys! Ironically, TeenHelp just published an article this month on young carers. You can read it here. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Re: Young Carers - September 18th 2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Tea.♥ View Post
I have a question. Can someone be a young carer if they have to take care of their younger siblings because their parent is busy looking after a disabled child? I just ask because my friend has to be home from school straight away, and sometimes take time off school, to look after her younger siblings because her parents are working and looking after another child who is disabled.
Yes definatly, if you tell your friend to maybe talk to her school then they can hopefully contact someone to put her in a young carers club and give her some support when needed.

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Young Carers - September 23rd 2012, 01:11 PM

Like Robin, I must point out that we also published a Video on Young Carers this month which can be viewed here.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread