TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Unhappy I could get taken away from my mum </3 - August 26th 2012, 02:45 PM

Well my mum was in hospital for ages. And I have no idea who but one of my stupid family members rung up social services saying she was a useless mum. So now they keep checking up on us. And my da is working and can't look after us. So if my mum goes back into hospital, I have no where to go so my and my sister might get taken away. And everytime my mum says the words social services I panic and ask of they will take us away. He have ha two workers and one came to talk to me at school, and I had to try and stay nice. Mainly because a false move and I could be taken, second I wanted to punch her in the face for getting involved, and third my head Of year was there after talking to her for ages. But if my mum goes into hospital I will be taken, and I don't want that to happen but now I'm worried that my mum will keep herself out of hospital for that reason. Say if my mum sits me and my sister down and says she needs to go into hospital, but if she does we could get taken and asks us what we want. I want my mum to be ok, but I want my mum too.

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I could get taken away from my mum </3 - August 27th 2012, 06:03 PM

Hello, Ciara. I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation. =( Dealing with social services is not fun; however, try to remember what their purpose is. They want to ensure you aren't neglected... and if you don't have any parents available to care for you, that essentially means you're being neglected. A 13-year-old cannot take care of herself, especially in emergency situations (who would drive you to a hospital if something bad happened?). The whole point of social services is to ensure you're taken care of, NOT to take you away from your parents. In fact, social services tries to reunite children with their parents whenever they can. This particular social worker was assigned to you - she didn't wake up and think, "Oh boy, this family is really messed up - I'm going to watch them like a hawk until they screw up!" On the contrary, I'm sure she wants the best for you, and if you can open up to her, you two may be able to come up with some ideas on how to prevent the worst-case scenario from happening.

Your mom doesn't necessarily have to choose between going to the hospital and staying home/remaining sick. There are other options that may be available to you. One could be for your dad to change his work situation - if he can take time off from work the next time your mom is in the hospital, then social services may not have any grounds to take you away from your parents. If an older family member can help out when your mom is in the hospital, that may also work. Your family may also be eligible for government support, which would allow your father to take some time off from work in order to watch over you and your sister when your mom is in the hospital. These are all options you can discuss with your social worker.

Good luck to you, your mom (health-wise), and your family! I hope everything works out in the end, one way or another.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I could get taken away from my mum </3 - August 27th 2012, 06:11 PM

Hi there.

Firstly I am incredibly sorry to hear about what is going on for you right now. It sounds like your home situation is really tough and I can relate to the way you're feeling.

I don't have a lot more to say than what has already been said. If your mum goes into hospital, someone need to look after you. That is just how it is and its social services place to ensure you're safe and being looked after properly. It's their job to make sure you have a home to live in with responsible adults to ensure you well-being. Now, it might be that if your mum becomes ill again and returns to hospital, social services help your dad manage to look after you both or find a close family friend or another family member to care for you while your mother is in hospital. If there is no one, you might be place in to respite care or foster care which again, will be while your mum is in hospital getting better and getting into a fit state to be able to care for you again. It doesn't mean your're going to be 'taken away' from your mum for ever and never return back into her care and that you won't be able to see her. Social services are not there to pull families apart but to put in support and help to ensure everyone in that family are well and safe.

I know this is hard and scary and I get that, I honestly do, but this is about what is best for you and making you're well and safe. Try and not to worry too much, you can do this.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread