TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
misskingraven Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I am so scared of speaking to people... - September 20th 2012, 06:23 AM

I just moved back to a town I lived in 2 years ago. I have friends here, but they all live in a different part of town that I used to live in and we don't go to the same school. So I am all alone is a school of 1500 people, and it's so overwhelming. I find it impossible to speak to anyone, as in I seize up if someone talks to me and only really say the bare minimum, and if I say a bit more I feel like they are judging me for it. I've been skipping classes just to get away because I feel so overwhelmed and depressed being there.
I've worked myself up into tears over it, and I just don't know how I will manage to talk to anyone! My friends pointed out today that I have no problem talking to people outside of school, and can sit there comfortably and joke around, so she doesn't get why I cant in school. Neither do I, really.
Any tips on how to talk to people without it sounding awkward and forced? I cant just go up and say Hi, like everyone has been telling me to do... I just cant, I know I would make a fool of myself and seize, then probably awkwardly standing there.
I can't just sit through school alone either, because I like people and would at least like to not feel so alone and out of place. I need people I can at least smile at in the halls and exchange a few words with!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Re: I am so scared of speaking to people... - September 20th 2012, 07:18 AM

I know how you feel. I have been having friend problems and can never really make friends easily. So that has caused me to not have many people to talk to. But don't skip classes, I know you may not want to go but you need to go and learn so you can get the things you need for a job when your older. I'm not gonna be hypocriptble and say you should just go up and talk to people. Cause you said you find it hard and I understand. But maybe if you want you can message me and then you can just say how your day was and what type of people you have maybe tried to talk to and I can try and help as best I can :-)

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: I am so scared of speaking to people... - September 20th 2012, 03:02 PM

Hi there,

Adjusting to a new school can definitely take a while and seem like a struggle. Remember this though: At one point in time, your current friends were strangers too. A school of 1,500 seems pretty big, but that just increases your chances of finding somebody you can click with. Have you tried joining any clubs?

Some ways to talk to people are by giving them small compliments, "Hey, I love your bracelet!" or "That's a really pretty dress." How about talking to them before class starts? You could casually ask if they thought last night's homework was hard, or if they're in any clubs.

I know at the moment it could seem overwhelming, but remember that this is temporary, and you *will* find people at some point.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

Closed Thread