TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
amilliondoves Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

not good enough - June 6th 2013, 12:37 AM

I really don't understand my family. They won't let me move out even though I'm 18. But they expect me to pay a ton of money for rent. I have a full time job but i can't be giving them all my money. I'm working all the time so when I get a day off I'd like to relax but all they do is yell at me because im not doing anything. I just moved here so i don't have any friends so I don't go out. the only other thing I do is play video games but I don't do that as much Because I'm always working. I have depression and other problems as well but my medication doesn't really help. I feel like if I'm not giving them money they're mad at me. And it really upsets me because I feel like I'm being used and favored over by everyone else in the family. I don't want to feel this way. I have horrible memory so I'll forget to do the dishes and when I do one of my family members always says that she should kill herself because of me and that makes me feel horrible. I just need someone to talk to. I'm sorry this is so long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: not good enough - June 6th 2013, 12:49 AM

Don't worry about how long this is we are all here to help and sometimes it takes alot in order to get people to understand your problems.
I think you should move out anyway
your 18 so your legally alowed
if there rent is really bad then if you move your rent won't be as high
and you won't have to work as much because you won't constantly need money
It also sounds like they are a bad influence making you feel bad.

Good luck
Stay Strong

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
amilliondoves Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: not good enough - June 6th 2013, 12:53 AM

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: not good enough - June 6th 2013, 12:58 AM

No problem
anytime

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Smbdy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joćo

Re: not good enough - June 6th 2013, 08:52 AM

I agree with Smithj, it looks like your family is a bad influence and it also seems like you have achieved your limit. Sometimes you just need some time apart your family to they see how important you're to them. Often people take family members for granted and if you move out, you'll find less expensive rents and at some point they'll start to miss you. Just be strong and do not listen all those bad things your family says. It's easy to say or write, but try it

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: not good enough - June 7th 2013, 01:28 PM

Like has already been said, you are legally an adult so you don't have to stay there if you don't want too. They can't stop you and if it's not a healthy environment for you then start looking for an apartment and see if you can afford it.
The only thing I can think to say is that living expenses ARE a lot, cause you have to account for how much ALL your food will cost, your phone, rent (and you have to usually make some sort of deposit like first and last when you first sign on), and then utilities like hydro, air conditioning, internet and cable if they're not already included in your rent (although cable is 100% optional), so you could be looking at an equal if not higher amount to what you are paying right now if all you have to pay for is rent and a phone. So you might want to do some budgeting before you commit to it, make sure you have the job security to ensure you won't suddenly be unable to afford living independently if you were to lose your job. There's bound to be somewhere that's affordable for you, broke students manage to hold down apartments so yeah, just don't have high expectations for somewhere huge (cause the bigger places tend to cost more, so mortgages are more, and by extension landlords tend to also charge more for rent).... But even if you are paying more it would be worth it if your current living situation is exaggerating your mental health issues. Just do a good search. Good luck

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread