TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Going riding with my friend - August 3rd 2013, 09:10 PM

Ok, so I used to ride a lot and to this day I love horses. But I got seriously injured by getting thrown from a horse. I barely rode the following year. So about 18 months later I started co-boarding this horse, for those of you who don't know that's where the horses owner basically leases the horse, so you pay X amount to get to be the horses rider. It was sort of frustrating though, cause first of all they used this horse for lessons even while I was co-boarding, so I'd have to know when they were using him for lessons cause I might not be able to ride if he'd already been ridden hard that day or been used for a few lessons or what ever.

But the real point here is that I was already nervous to start riding again after getting hurt and this horse jerked me around a lot, like he'd make it hard to mount and would get skittish in one of the corners of the outdoor ring a lot and even bucked once and most of the time he wouldn't canter when I told him too, he'd just go into a really fast, choppy trot that it hard for me to control how I was riding and hard to control him... Now I get it, some horses will act like this and usually i could have tolerated it and probably would have had the confidence to make him stop, but when I started co-boarding him I was reassured that he was this nice, easy going and cooperative horse, they never said he'd play tricks and that he'd make life difficult for me which was so not what I needed when I was trying to rebuild my confidence riding (which to be fair i never new was an issue before I started riding there). I rode this other horse a few times towards the end of the summer who was a super sweet heart a few times and a really nice ride but then other things took over in life and I could no longer afford to pay shit loads of money when I wasn't really riding enough to make it worth how much I was paying. So I stopped riding and haven't barely rode in 2 years (one trail ride while on a trip, that's it). If i hadn't of moved away for university I'd still ride with my friend in my home town all the time but that's not the case...

Any how... So officially to the point, I am now visiting my hometown and I agreed to go riding with my friend. Her horses are amazing and i know I can trust them not to fuck around with me (I hope). Her horses like to go fast though so I hope I can keep them going slow cause anything above a walk I know I'll panic and get upset cause my confidence riding has been so seriously damaged I am terrified to even get on much less to let the horse move at all (even though I am totally ok being around horses). But otherwise I know it should be fine logically speaking... But i am (maybe irrationally) terrified that something will happen and i'll fall off and get hurt. I am totally comfortable around horses, it's literally just the riding part where I get terrified. And the dumb thing is I've fallen off before and NOT been hurt, it just took me the one time for me to get really nervous when actually on a horse...I have to go and I am determined to get over my fear/nervousness of riding, so yeah... But I'm not sure if I should tell my friend how worried I am that something will happen because I am so so so so scared that her horse will get scared by god only knows what, an animal jumping out of the bushes or something, he's a big horse and a long way to fall....

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; August 4th 2013 at 12:11 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Going riding with my friend - August 5th 2013, 04:34 PM

MIGHT AS WELL CLOSE THIS!! No one answered, I would edit it out to say so but I can't and now it's a little beyond the fact.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread