TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Cutting off bad friends - October 14th 2013, 10:49 PM

We all have THAT friend. The one who, if you talk about him/her you start wondering "jeez, I have so few good things to say about this person, what am I doing around them?" and you even have friends being like "yeah, its' time to cut this person off" etc.... And I don't mean over minor disputes, I mean over their fundamental personality traits or behaviour that directly affect you repeatedly and are traits that aren't likely to change even if you confronted them. But despite knowing this you continue seeing this friend because there is still something decent about them... Even though it goes far enough that this friend is embarassing to have around other friends because of their attitude etc... So what do you guys do here?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I've been here a while

Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21

Re: Cutting off bad friends - October 14th 2013, 11:45 PM

Hello
I've had a few of those friends before. It's sounds like you are not very compatible. If they don't make you happy to be around them, then yes, maybe it is time to move on.

What I have done in the past is : Slowly reduce the amount you talk to them. Not in a mean way- just slowly. This will start to bring you apart with no one getting really hurt.
If you see them everyday, like I did with the people at school, try talking to some other people around if there are any. I also joined some clubs and sports that these people did not participate in.

This made my friends start to talk to other people more instead of me. Now, I am still friendly with these people. I just don't talk to them or hang out with them much anymore. It worked for my situation and it might work for yours

Whatever you do, I hope everything turns out good

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Cutting off bad friends - October 15th 2013, 12:35 AM

Oh, it's fine, I know how to get rid of people, I don't actually have a real problem with the person in mind so I'd still be fine with catching up if she comes to bug me... I'm just sort of over how she treats me... I was more wondering how people have experienced this as well, what they've done etc (which is what you've done I guess)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I've been here a while

Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21

Re: Cutting off bad friends - October 15th 2013, 07:56 PM

Oops! Well I guess I already answered, but yes, I have had many friends like that. And I've already explained what I did so I'm not going to write it all again
It really makes me frustrated when this happens- not because of the person, but because I became friends with them even though it was obvious I didn't really like them. I just didn't realize it at the time.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Cutting off bad friends - October 15th 2013, 10:38 PM

I have a similar friend in my life as well. He does say some sketchy stuff, and puts us all in some bad situations, and we often do wonder why we even hangout with him anymore, but there is just 'something' there I guess? Some kind of skill/fun he brings to the friendship?

So often we decide to hangout with him on the weekends when we want to get crazy, but during the week we go out and do stuff without him around (which he is find with - since we verbally told him he scares us sometimes).

So I guess we found our happy-medium with him & what he provides to our friendship(s).

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
Closed Thread