TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Cutting off bad friends (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t124712-cutting-off-bad-friends/)

Always * October 14th 2013 10:49 PM

Cutting off bad friends

We all have THAT friend. The one who, if you talk about him/her you start wondering "jeez, I have so few good things to say about this person, what am I doing around them?" and you even have friends being like "yeah, its' time to cut this person off" etc.... And I don't mean over minor disputes, I mean over their fundamental personality traits or behaviour that directly affect you repeatedly and are traits that aren't likely to change even if you confronted them. But despite knowing this you continue seeing this friend because there is still something decent about them... Even though it goes far enough that this friend is embarassing to have around other friends because of their attitude etc... So what do you guys do here?

Azure. October 14th 2013 11:45 PM

Re: Cutting off bad friends

Hello:)
I've had a few of those friends before. It's sounds like you are not very compatible. If they don't make you happy to be around them, then yes, maybe it is time to move on.

What I have done in the past is : Slowly reduce the amount you talk to them. Not in a mean way- just slowly. This will start to bring you apart with no one getting really hurt.
If you see them everyday, like I did with the people at school, try talking to some other people around if there are any. I also joined some clubs and sports that these people did not participate in.

This made my friends start to talk to other people more instead of me. Now, I am still friendly with these people. I just don't talk to them or hang out with them much anymore. It worked for my situation and it might work for yours:)

Whatever you do, I hope everything turns out good:)

Always * October 15th 2013 12:35 AM

Oh, it's fine, I know how to get rid of people, I don't actually have a real problem with the person in mind so I'd still be fine with catching up if she comes to bug me... I'm just sort of over how she treats me... I was more wondering how people have experienced this as well, what they've done etc (which is what you've done I guess) :p

Azure. October 15th 2013 07:56 PM

:hehe: Oops! Well I guess I already answered, but yes, I have had many friends like that. And I've already explained what I did so I'm not going to write it all again :nosweat:
It really makes me frustrated when this happens- not because of the person, but because I became friends with them even though it was obvious I didn't really like them. I just didn't realize it at the time.

Chris October 15th 2013 10:38 PM

I have a similar friend in my life as well. He does say some sketchy stuff, and puts us all in some bad situations, and we often do wonder why we even hangout with him anymore, but there is just 'something' there I guess? Some kind of skill/fun he brings to the friendship?

So often we decide to hangout with him on the weekends when we want to get crazy, but during the week we go out and do stuff without him around (which he is find with - since we verbally told him he scares us sometimes).

So I guess we found our happy-medium with him & what he provides to our friendship(s).