TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
aqua Offline
retro machine comes inbetween
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sian

I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 24th 2013, 03:50 PM

I dont know if anyone else has this problem but, living in the UK means at 18 im legal to drink and purchase alcohol.
This only really started happening as soon as I turned 18 in the August of this year. My friend, who's 15 now, is sort of...idk? Uses any excuse to get pissed. And when she's drunk, it isnt exactly in the good way, she does stupid things like this one time she ended up trying to kiss my other friend (who is a girl).

Like, when I was at a festival with her she kept nagging me and nagging me to get her a drink. I didnt have any ID on me so I kept saying I can't get it her so she kept trying to use petty excuses like the fact I have a tattoo to prove my age. I mean, anyone can get a tattoo underage if they really wanted to.
I kept trying to explain to her that to prove your age your ID has to be government approved so it has to be a passport or a drivers licence but she wouldn't listen.

Anyway, up to recently. Tomorrow we are going to a halloween party. And she wants me to get her some Jack Daniels for a guy that will give her some weed if she gets him a bottle of JD. Anyway today, I felt kinda pressured to buy it for her because I didn't want to be a 'party pooper' y'know?
My parents are quite strict when it comes to the law and stuff like that. I went to get my passport today and my dad was like "what do you want that for?" and because I can't lie for shit I ended up just telling him the truth.
He was like "You are not buying that. You're buying for a minor". And then I had to tell my friend and she got kinda pissed off at me and when I said i was waiting for the bus anyway to meet her to go to the store where we were supposed to be going to get the JD, she was like "why are you even coming anyway?". I got really mad because she was basically using me because I'm 18. I don't know what to do.
Her mum got her the JD anyway, but yeah.

I'm still going to the party tomorrow but if she starts acting silly bugger's i'm just gonna leave her to it.

Self-harm free since: October 2013
~Follow me on Tumblr~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 24th 2013, 07:43 PM

To be honest, she does seem like she is using you. she's not a good friend. And next time she asks, say "No" and if she has a go at you then say "I know you're only using me for getting you drink. And I refuse" and see what she does... if she still nags then just simply say "You know what. You're a useless friend. You're using me, and I won't put up with it." and walk away... real friends don't use you. Hope this helps xxx

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
aqua Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 25th 2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Memories View Post
To be honest, she does seem like she is using you. she's not a good friend. And next time she asks, say "No" and if she has a go at you then say "I know you're only using me for getting you drink. And I refuse" and see what she does... if she still nags then just simply say "You know what. You're a useless friend. You're using me, and I won't put up with it." and walk away... real friends don't use you. Hope this helps xxx
Thankyou so much for the help. I'm sick of her walking all over me at times.

~Follow me on Tumblr~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 25th 2013, 03:12 PM

I agree with Midnight, she does seem to be using you just for the alcohol.

Remember, supplying under 18's with alcohol is illegal and if anyone finds out you've been doing this then it'll be you getting into trouble, not her.

I'd suggest stop being friends with her. Find some friends who are closer to your own age since I hate to say it but a lot of under 18s might end up using their older friends just for alcohol, whether they mean to do it in a malicious way or not.

Let us know how how everything goes, hope this helped.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 25th 2013, 06:29 PM

It does sound like she is using you for your age and I would stop. If she doesn't like it then so be it, you don't need friends like that and I would suggest trying to find people more your age also to avoid similar situations as Cara said and it'll be better to spend time with people who are your own age instead of someone who is quite a bit younger.

Also, it is illegal and you'll be the one paying the fine or worse if you get caught doing it and it just isn't worth all the trouble.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
aqua Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 26th 2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I ended up telling her I'm not her free pass to alcohol and she didn't like it. She ended up giving me the whole petty guilt trip thing "I do so much for you and you don't even notice it blah blah blah" and saying "You're supposed to be the mature one here, but you don't even understand why people want to drink". So I told her I'm mature enough to understand that I'm supplying to a minor, and if I got caught it would be my head in the slicer. And that if she doesn't understand my concern she obviously isn't mature enough herself to handle drinking.
So she got all pissed off with me like, really childish you know? So I just deicded to ignore her until I got to the party.
When I got there a little later than she did, it was like 8 o clock-ish and she was already off her face. She'd already been telling all the other's what a wimp I was for not buying it for her unsurprisingly.
She was honestly an embarrassment to herself. We ended up having to take her vodka away from her and pour it into another container and give her the bottle back full of water.
To be honest if it wasn't for us being there she would of drunk the whole bottle and got alcohol poisoning.

~Follow me on Tumblr~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I feel like my friend uses me for my age. - October 28th 2013, 03:22 AM

I've moved this over to Friends & Family because your question is regarding your friend rather than substance abuse.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread