TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DinoLucy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

How to cope with missing friends? - October 24th 2013, 10:25 PM

Hi,
I moved to Switzerland (from England) in June and I'm finding it kinda difficult. I knew it would be difficult at first but for different reasons.
I had loads of friends in my old school and they were all really amazing, but now I've moved I don't really miss any of them.
But there is one person I do miss A LOT. I've known him since primary school but we only became best friends about 2 years ago. I didn't realise how much I'd miss him. We still Skype and stuff but we never really have anything to talk about anymore; and if we manage a conversation then it's always really depressing and at least one of us will cry:3
I can't stop thinking about him, and to fix our problem we're trying not to talk this week to see if it helps. I'm finding it really difficult!

Can someone help me with how to cope? We're both 14 and probably never going to see each other again!

Thanks!
Lucy x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: How to cope with missing friends? - October 25th 2013, 01:07 AM

Hey Lucy,

I'm sorry to hear about you're going through. I can relate, in a way, because my friend moved away last month. So I'm kind of more in your friend's position, but I can relate to how you feel. And it's tough to "lose" a friend. It really is.

Maybe you guys could text or email rather than talking over Skype. That way it isn't awkward and you have lots of time to compose what you want to say, which would make it easier to find things to talk about. You also won't have to get emotional in front of each other. And then, maybe once every week or two, you could Skype just so you can see each other in person.

Just so you know, I think it's okay that your conversations are pretty sad and depressing right now. My conversations with my friend who moved are like that a lot, and my other friend and I have talked a lot about how depressed we are that she's moving. It's okay to be sad, and it's okay to let him know how you feel. It's all right for you to both be sad together for a while. Over time, you'll get used to the new situation and your conversations will probably go back to normal again.

I hope this helps a bit, and if you need someone to talk to or anything, feel free to message me anytime. Good luck! And I hope you're enjoying Switzerland.

~Hailey

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DinoLucy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

Re: How to cope with missing friends? - October 27th 2013, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion; but mainly we talk by typing rather than face-to-face; it's just easier. We don't generally get emotional in front of each other (video call) because I guess it'd just be more awkward?
Thanks! x

Closed Thread