TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 30th 2013, 01:12 PM

So my question is the title. As a teenager it feels perfectly okay to be friends with mostly guys, but now that I'm older I feel like it's unacceptable to be a grown ass woman and be hanging out all the time with men. Even though I'm not interested in them like that to me it feels wrong, especially hanging out one on one.

I'm the kind of person who likes to hang out one on one or in smaller groups than in a big party/group of people.

I just been feeling guilty lately, and even being single I feel guilty. What do you guys think?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 30th 2013, 01:45 PM

I don't see a problem with it. I think a lot of people are like that. If you're comfortable hanging out with the opposite more as friends then your own then do it and don't worry about it. I'm actually the same way so I can relate, just the opposite way around.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 30th 2013, 03:51 PM

I don't think there is a problem with it at all. If you prefer to spend time with guys than girls then that is your decision. I had more guy friends than girl friends as I found that it was just because I felt it easier to get along with guys. You shouldn't feel guilt for it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 30th 2013, 06:44 PM

I agree. There's nothing wrong with it at all. it's your preference, your decision.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 30th 2013, 10:00 PM

Hey there Jess. I think there is absolutely no problem with it. My sister's best friend (who is in her 30's), hangs out with all guys, and is single. I think it just comes down to who you feel most comfortable with, who you enjoy being around more, and who you can relate to. You haven't really gone into any detail about this, but I'm guessing you enjoy a almost drama-free zone within your group (which in alot of cases, girls who hang out with other girls commonly have drama in the group). My guess is you can also possibly relate to them better (maybe they are good at listening, and share common bonds with you), and you overall free safe with being around them. All those things are perfectly normal and healthy reasons to hang out with the opposite sex. If hanging out with them proves to be beneficial to you (which from what you've told me, I would say it does), then there is no reason to feel 'guilty' about it.

Embrace who you care about (no matter the sex), and focus on the great friendships that you have (and not the ones that you don't have).

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - October 31st 2013, 01:07 AM

I don't think that there is a problem with that at all. My sister always had mostly guy friends. Her reason (and I am in no way saying this is your reason, or that this is true for all girls) was that a lot of girls are backstabbers and guys don't have that drama. I agree with Chris that maybe you can relate to guys better and there is just something that clicks with them better, helping you get along with them. You can't help who you connect with, even if that is mostly guys. There is nothing wrong with being friends with someone, guy or girl.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 5th 2013, 06:37 AM

I don't think there is a problem with it either. If you're more comfortable being around guys, then there's nothing to worry about. Throughout school, I was the same and I was more comfortable hanging out with guys then girls.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lady99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 5th 2013, 07:30 AM

Not a problem at all, in my opinion. Why force yourself to hang out with girls more when you're perfectly happy with your guy friends? Lots of my friends are guys too - they're just a bit more relaxed and there's a lot less drama, like the others already mentioned. You don't choose your friends for their gender, you choose them because you like them.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 7th 2013, 10:47 PM

I find yes, there is a lot more drama, but I find myself wishing that I had more female friends I could joke around with and not hold back when seeing a hot guy walk by we can joke around and giggle or something stupid. I like being friends with guys, it's easier, I relate better to them but I just feel on eggshells like I will give someone the wrong idea or impression or something. And it's not that I think that everyone likes me, it's just that I am more likeable now than I was in high school, I'm not used to the attention and don't really know how to handle it sometimes so I feel a little guilty

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 8th 2013, 02:08 PM

It's perfectly ok... most of my friends are guys and I'm 22. I like my female friends obviously but in groups I much prefer chatting to guys. You have nothing to fee guilty about!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 9th 2013, 11:27 PM

It's fine to have mostly male friends, but I know what you mean about having a girl to talk to every now and then. There's nothing wrong with having a group of male friends so don't let that bother you. But if you want to spend some girly time with some female friends then that's okay too. You shouldn't think too much about it really and just do what you want to do.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 16th 2013, 08:54 PM

I have always gravitated toward male friends vs. female friends, for a number of reasons; however, as I grew older, I also had an increasing desire to make more female friends. I worried about not having any bridesmaids for my future wedding or friends I could do "girly girl" things with from time to time. My solution? I made friends with my male friends' girlfriends! Not only did it give me the opportunity to make some close female friends, but it gave my fiancé and I excuses to go on double dates! =D I suppose things could be a bit trickier for a single woman (because people will [unfortunately] assume things), but you can't spend too much time worrying about what other people assume.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Anja123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it okay for a woman to be friends with mostly men? - November 20th 2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
So my question is the title. As a teenager it feels perfectly okay to be friends with mostly guys, but now that I'm older I feel like it's unacceptable to be a grown ass woman and be hanging out all the time with men. Even though I'm not interested in them like that to me it feels wrong, especially hanging out one on one.

I'm the kind of person who likes to hang out one on one or in smaller groups than in a big party/group of people.

I just been feeling guilty lately, and even being single I feel guilty. What do you guys think?
You shouldn't be guilty ok?I'm were in the same situation before.Hey,everyone knows that it's funnier hanging out with men,it's not so drama.Just enjoy it and think that you're not doing anything wrong.You shouldn't care about the others opinion,becouse you know you're not doing anything wrong

Closed Thread