TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BexK Offline
BexK
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bex

Am I being selfish (be truthful) - November 3rd 2013, 07:35 PM

Recently, my sister (23) has been beaten by her ex bf. She has 2 daughters. She went to hospital not long ago as shes suicidal. Shes really depressed now, so shes staying over my house from today (Sunday) until Thursday.
My sister doesnt talk to me at all.
My mum ignores me when my sister is around. They snuggled under the blanket together...my mum has NEVER done this with me... I just feel like she doesn't care about me at all.
She treats me like a child...I'm 16 and she makes me go to bed at 9.00 every night, ffs.
She makes me feel like s***.
I have hardly any friends, so I have no support AT ALL.
I feel like I'm going to fail all my exams.
I feel like I'm not good at anything.
I feel like I'm a failure.
I feel like I'm no goofdat anything
I need to get away from my family before I do something stupid to myself.
PLEASE HELP ME

Please be truthful, am I being selfish and stupid?

Please answer me, I need to know the truth!

Last edited by Chris; November 3rd 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Combined posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Am I being selfish (be truthful) - November 3rd 2013, 08:47 PM

Hi there Bex, Welcome to TeenHelp.

I often hear very similar stories as the one you are having right now. I think your mother is focused on your sister because of the visible problems she has been going through (verbal/physical abuse). Often, parents will unintentionally direct there attention to a child in need, but alot of parents don't remember that they have other kids to take care of at the same time. So my guess is that she recognizes that your sister needs support; but is blind to the fact that you also need support as well.

In regards to the friend aspect of things, I think it's best to start getting more involved at school. Join groups, clubs, sports, get a part-time job, or even volunteer at a local organization. All these different things will not only provide you with the opportunity to get out of the house more often, but also provides you the opportunity to create friendships.

It sounds overall that you need some kind of support system in your life to keep you balanced (emotionally), and to allow you to release some of the stress in your life. My recommendation is that you talk to a counselor/social worker at school, or find some other support system. This will most definitely benefit you in a positive way.

Keep your head up!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BexK Offline
BexK
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bex

Re: Am I being selfish (be truthful) - November 3rd 2013, 09:02 PM

Thank you Chris

Closed Thread