TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hmzarza Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamza Raza

Angry Why does my mom keep taking my stuff? - February 10th 2014, 12:22 PM

Hey everyone. Hope youre all doing great.

So i need some help with my mum. Shes always been pretty strict and a bit bossy, but i really hate it when she takes my things away, for any period of time. She says she does it because she doesn't want my little brother to be distracted from his studies. She takes my Xbox controller away and only gives it on Fridays, which is really annoying to me. Im 19 years old and im treated like a 12 year old. I keep telling my brother to go away and study so she won't say anything, but he doesn't listen or he just tells on me. She just took my ipad too, which she usually doesn't do. I REALLY hate it when she takes my stuff. What Do i do, I've asked my other friends and they say their parents dont treat then like that

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Why does my mom keep taking my stuff? - February 10th 2014, 01:32 PM

Hey there, I understand how this could be frustrating; I mean, she's taking your things away because your brother needs to study. While you are 19, you are still living at home and so as long as you choose to live there, your mom makes the rules. You may be able to negotiate some of them, you may not like them all, but they should be followed as a condition of living with her.

I would talk to her about the fact that you feel the rules are unfair, maybe work something out with your mom and brother, for example: you will let him study for a certain amount of time, or between certain hours and then your mom won't have to "take" your stuff away to give him that time. Or your brother will study in a set place (kitchen table, his room, etc) so that he will be separate from you or you will avoid him while he's working and you can do what you want without distracting him.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Why does my mom keep taking my stuff? - February 18th 2014, 06:38 AM

Hey there.

I have been on both ends of this situation. At one point, I couldn't do anything without my parents knowing about it. And, at another point, my parents couldn't care less about what I did. Your situation is difficult, but it does contain some sense. I'm guessing that you and your brother share things (i.e., you let him use your xbox, ipad, etc), so she is taking those things away to aid your brother in the mission of becoming a better student. I think we can all agree that is fair. However she fails to realize the impact that this is having on you. As you said, you're 19, and do deserve freedom.

Your best bet in this situation is to sit down and talk to her. Notice the very important word: talk. Don't yell, scream, get upset, or anything similar. Your goal is to calmly express your feelings, provide some evidence, and kindly ask for more freedom. You may also want to provide your mother with some ideas about how to keep your brother on tasks. You can tell her to think about making a designated study area, creating a schedule in which your brother does his homework, etc.

This situation will get better over time, but for the time being, try to get back some of your freedom. The only efficient way of doing that is to communicate.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryanviola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan Viola

Re: Why does my mom keep taking my stuff? - February 26th 2014, 09:34 AM

You can give suggestion to your mother for an option that keep all the stuffs with you and use only when your brother is not around you. And you can hide all the stuffs rather taking away from you. Try to convince her like to support you which no outsider can do better then you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hmzarza Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamza Raza

Re: Why does my mom keep taking my stuff? - February 27th 2014, 05:28 PM

Thanks very much everyone

Closed Thread