TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 14th 2014, 03:18 AM

One of the most important lessons I have learned is to stay humble. However, I'm recently finding that to be really hard.

My parents always nag at me for "chewing my food too loudly" or "giving unpleasant looks all the time." And whenever that happens, I always keep my calm, even though I get a little enraged in the inside. However, at times, I just can't keep my feeling inside and yell at them, and, of course, we would have a small argument because of that.

I see that they are telling me to do so because they want to discipline me, and I also see that I have to obey them and make sure to correct my wrongdoings. It's just that it's extremely hard for me to do so.

Is this my fault or what?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 14th 2014, 07:53 AM

It's natural to get annoyed if the small details of how you act are constantly chastised. You can't completely control how you look at someone entirely unless if you constantly have a third person view of your face, so you're not really at fault imo. As for the chewing food too loudly, I can completely relate to that; my father would yell at me from across the room if I made even the smallest noise from chewing, although he gave up on doing that.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 14th 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
It's natural to get annoyed if the small details of how you act are constantly chastised. You can't completely control how you look at someone entirely unless if you constantly have a third person view of your face, so you're not really at fault imo. As for the chewing food too loudly, I can completely relate to that; my father would yell at me from across the room if I made even the smallest noise from chewing, although he gave up on doing that.
Haha yep. My dad would yell at me for making a little noise

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 15th 2014, 11:50 PM

In my personal opinion it sounds like your parents are picking at you because they can't accept you for the little faults I expect even they did in their very own youth. You can't help chewing loudly and you can't help how you look at people, especially if you do them without thinking. You're just being yourself. The fault lies with them for being so picky in their expectations.

What you could do if you haven't already is sit down with one or both of them and explain that you understand they dislike you doing those things but they're just a part of who you are, that you're trying your best for them but they're not making you feel good by picking at such trivial things. Make sure you keep calm and be understanding of anything they explain to you, shouting doesn't solve problems, it only creates them. If you think you could get annoyed or if you think talking isn't best for you, you could consider writing a letter addressed to one or both of them or even an email. Sometimes writing things down is better because it allows you to think before you actually 'say' them. Creating drafts can also be a good way to help you find the best method of expression while removing any harshness out of whatever you're writing at the same time.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
teenager149 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 16th 2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
In my personal opinion it sounds like your parents are picking at you because they can't accept you for the little faults I expect even they did in their very own youth. You can't help chewing loudly and you can't help how you look at people, especially if you do them without thinking. You're just being yourself. The fault lies with them for being so picky in their expectations.

What you could do if you haven't already is sit down with one or both of them and explain that you understand they dislike you doing those things but they're just a part of who you are, that you're trying your best for them but they're not making you feel good by picking at such trivial things. Make sure you keep calm and be understanding of anything they explain to you, shouting doesn't solve problems, it only creates them. If you think you could get annoyed or if you think talking isn't best for you, you could consider writing a letter addressed to one or both of them or even an email. Sometimes writing things down is better because it allows you to think before you actually 'say' them. Creating drafts can also be a good way to help you find the best method of expression while removing any harshness out of whatever you're writing at the same time.
Well, I know that they tell me not to do these things because they are not "good manners." I'll definitely keep this in mind, though.
Thanks for the help

I wear glasses.
Str8up Japanese
Bay Area, Cali ▶️ Tokyo
PM me when you need to!
teenager149

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ryanviola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan Viola

Re: It is hard to stay humble. :( - February 28th 2014, 10:21 AM

I can say if you parents want you to do then do it. Your duty is to make your parents happy and tension free. Try this for a once for only your parents.

Closed Thread