TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ravensnight Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What to Say - March 11th 2014, 05:59 AM

I find it difficult to fall asleep at night. I always have. I'm a night owl. When the sun sets my brain goes on overdrive and my eyes flare up. I could run a marathon, I could drop and do twenty, but falling asleep? Inpossible.
So I lie in bed with the window open, listening to the crickets, inviting as much cool air in as possible, leaving the fan on, and covering myself with the lightest blanket possible to avoid the desert heat. And I talk myself to sleep. It's not a mental condition or anything. I just go over my day, what I plan to do, what's going on in my computer games, how I feel, what's bothering me. Or I make up stories and whisper them out.
Well tonight I was hissing like a snake for at least fifteen minutes when a voice underneath my bed giggles.
"I can hear you.". I think my heart stopped. My ten year old brother rolled out from under my bed, a huge smirk on his face. "I heard everything."
I'd chosen tonight to tell myself some cheesy story that involved my crush totally falling for me. I was mortified. I never said anything innapropriate but I wasn't proud my brother heard that.
He'll think I'm nuts. I don't know what to say. He'll exaggerate to both my parents and next thing I know, they'll be listening at my door! What do I do???

The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world or a relationship everything has it's time. And everything ends.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: What to Say - March 11th 2014, 07:44 AM

I think that you should just tell your parents the truth. Explain to them that talking through your day helps you relax and fall asleep. There's nothing strange about it and it doesn't make you crazy. Everyone has little things that help them to fall asleep at night. I wouldn't exactly call counting sheep normal (how did someone come up with that? ) but if you tell someone you fall asleep by counting sheep they don't think anything of it. Your method might not be a common one but it helps you finally get to sleep so who cares? If you're worried about what your brother might say then try talking to them about it before he gets the chance to. I doubt they're going to make too big of a deal out of it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ryanviola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan Viola

Re: What to Say - March 11th 2014, 10:05 AM

This same happens with me, I am not able to sleep and doing somthing whole night and feel like tired whole day. Is it ok, if i will take sleeping pills?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: What to Say - March 11th 2014, 10:39 PM

You can just explain that you have trouble falling asleep and that you enjoy making up stories. If they would get upset that you were making up a story about your crush, you can just say that wasn't you but the character in your story talking about her love interest, and that your brother is exaggerating.

I'd also recommend talking to your parents about privacy (and presumably about how your brother should have been asleep at that hour!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanviola View Post
This same happens with me, I am not able to sleep and doing somthing whole night and feel like tired whole day. Is it ok, if i will take sleeping pills?
Hi,
I can't tell you if it would be ok or not as only a doctor can do that. While sleeping pills aren't hurtful and can even help if they are used correctly, it can be dangerous to try to use them without medical advice first.

Being unable to sleep can be caused by many reasons, so if you can't have a doctor look into them, then taking sleeping pills can be helpful. There are also many kinds of sleeping pills, so to choose the one that is best for you it's definitely a good idea to get professional advice. The type you take and the dosage will depend on the reasons why you can't fall asleep, any allergies you may have, your medical history, age, height, other medicine you may be taking and many other factors as well.

While it's true that there are over-the-counter sleeping pills, seeing a doctor is a good idea for the reasons I said above and especially for a teenager. Because most over-the-counter sleeping pills are intended for adults, the recommended dosage for you may be lower, or they may not even be the right type. This can be dangerous in the long run.

Have you tried sleep hygiene habits? Those can be helpful, they include things like not using your computer or studying in bed so you'll associate bed with rest, logging off your computer at least half an hour before sleep, not eating heavy meals before bedtime, things like that. Drinking some chamomile tea can also help.

Closed Thread