TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
humbleman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 12th 2014, 07:16 PM

It seems that most (not all of them) kids in Europe, North America and other western regions are either particularly noisy in class and take little responsibility for their academics, health, and/or their life in general.

Maybe it's just age, but in other places of the world children their are better behaved and are aware of the consequences of their actions more than their Western counterparts.

So what's your take on this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 12th 2014, 07:53 PM

I think it depends more on the person and how they were raised, not where they come from. You shouldn't jump to conclusions about people just because some people in some areas of the world might have a bad attitude.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#3 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 12th 2014, 08:10 PM

Perhaps a bit of a generalisation. For prestigious and private schools are quite the opposite and other countries in Europe (comparison to Australia), giving Finland for example, have an intimidating and astonishing education system. Back then when physical punishment was put into place, you don't need to wonder why you couldn't fall out of line. Nowadays, it's far too easy and with the state we're in - the technological era, the "don't give a sh*t" phase, it amplifies a more badly behaved kid knowing he can get away with it.

If you're raised and brought up around idiots, you're most likely going to be an idiot.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DizzyDolphin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Louisa

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 12th 2014, 09:33 PM

I am from the UK and am about to exit my teenage years, I feel like agreeing with you.

When I was in secondary school a lot of the people in my class would act up, be noisy, not listen and just cause trouble that disrupted the entire class. And this happened in most classes, I much preferred to keep quiet, listen and do my work as I wanted to be able to get good grades and learn as much as possible.
I also found a lot of the girls were not bothered about their sexual health and rarely used protection, a lot of discussions they had in class were about the older men they had been with which I thought was something for outside the classroom. Many of those girls I know now have children, some with various men. Though I find girls where better at maintaining a healthy body weight wise. No girls seemed overly skinny and very few were over weight. The boys on the other hand tended to not bother and would shovel junk food into their mouths whenever they had the chance.
Though both sexes did not seem bothered about their lungs and other organs as they would smoke, legal and illegal substances and drink a lot, some often came in hungover.

Though there were several others in my classes who put their heads down worked hard and got good grades.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 12th 2014, 09:57 PM

I think it's unfair to generalize and assume that all teenagers are like this. Obviously there are some who are, but there are also many who are focused and have determination to be successful in life. I've met teenagers who have high levels of maturity and others who seem very childish. In my opinion maturity is not determined by your age. It can be determined by many different factors such as the way you're raised or your life experiences. Age may sometimes play a role in it as well but I think that role is a small one.

It is easy to generalize though, so I'm not at all judging you for your opinion. I think when you're used to encountering a lot of immature people it's easy to overlook those who do have maturity. But you have to try your best to give people a chance. If you assume all teenagers are immature before you truly get to know them then it will be really difficult to make friends or get along with your peers.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 13th 2014, 05:47 AM

Hey, there.

I can see where you can come up with something like that, but that's not always the case. I went to public school (in Chicago) where we were held at very low standards. Thus, no one really had to take responsibility for their actions, grades, etc. However eventually I entered a private Catholic high school, where the standards are 4x greater. There, even things we did outside of school were punishable in school. Grades had to meet exceptional limits, and you're overall attitude had to be positive. It was a very strict and "formal" school, but I loved every minute of it. However my experiences in Private school (or public school) will differ per school, county, state, and country. What I learn in Chicago, I may never even have brushed-up on in New York. The standards in Arizona may not be the same standards in California. There truly is no "consistency" in the U.S. educational system, values, or person beliefs.

However, overall, I do have to disagree with the statement that all teenagers are immature and/or don't take responsibility for things. It usually comes down to how they were raised, and the schools/institutions they attended that ultimately determines the outcome (i.e., taking responsibility, or not taking responsibility; getting a superior education, or not getting an education at all; being mature and respectful, not being mature or respectful, etc).

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Are most teenagers immature or is it just a Western phenomena? - March 13th 2014, 08:12 PM

It depends on what you mean by immaturity and what teenagers you're talking about.

It's been pretty much scientifically proven that teenagers' brains work differently from everyone else's, like the way decision making works for them is different from what it is for older (and even younger) people. Add to that completely normal things like feeling confused about all the changes going on in your life and being in a state that isn't childhood but isn't quite adulthood yet and it can be confusing, thus making people think teenagers are immature.

I think everyone regardless of age can be immature, and that if teenagers are immature that's mainly because they're young.

I also think that a lot of it has to do with upbringing and an individual's personality. There's the sort of immaturity that is more just being young and making mistakes that are pretty normal, and then there's the sort of immaturity that hurts others and is unpleasant to those around you. In either case, I do think that teenagers can be taught to take responsibility for their actions, and that making mistakes is human but how you deal with those really matters a lot and shows your character.

I think that western teenagers are often seen as immature because there's a different social perception of what adolescence is, which isn't bad by default. Young people should be allowed space to make normal mistakes and go through phases and figure out who they are. But then some people take that too extremes and end up being condescending to teenagers or the opposite, giving them a pass to hurt others because they're "just kids" and stuff.

I've met very immature teenagers but also very immature adults (with the added problem that those adults often had people relying on them like their kids, or had bigger and more hurtful consequences for those around them) but I've also met many teenagers who are quite mature, willing to learn, and all around awesome.

Closed Thread