TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

View Poll Results: Where to live?
Friend's House 0 0%
Townhouse 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Where would you live? - March 24th 2014, 12:42 AM

I'm in university, and have had the worst luck with roommates over the last three years. This year has been particularly horrible for me. I'm in a very intense program, and don't need to deal with this amount of stress on top of everything else.

A little bit about me/my schedule:
- I will be at school for eight hours per day, four days per week (have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off)
- I do not like working at the library and, instead, like working at home
- The prices of both houses are the same

I have two choices:

(1) Friend's House:

Pros:
- 15 minutes away from campus (by bus) (it's closer)
- I know one of the people I'll be living with, and she's nice
- about 15 minute walk to the grocery store
- closer to downtown than the townhouse
- might be my last chance to live with other people/students, as I'll be graduating (probably) next year
- a lot of my other friends live in this area
- the three roommates seem like really nice girls, and they could become my close friends

Cons:
- will be living with three other people
- I like to be by myself sometimes, especially after a long and busy day
- not that nice of a house; it's pretty small and not that nice
- busses might be full in this location
- worried that living with more people might be more problematic (like this year)
- worried that living with my friend might cause tensions in our friendship; this happens a lot when people move in with friends
- there is a train that runs right behind the house
- there is a gym on campus, but it's always extremely busy
- would probably have to buy a standalone freezer (I freeze a lot of food, and right now, they're only using the top part of a refrigerator freezer)
- would be tight in terms of sharing appliances
- would have to share bathroom with three other girls
- a rather difficult move-in/move-out situation, because of when the current tenant is moving out
- the rent is not all-inclusive, which means that we have to take care of our own bills; this has been one of the most stressful issues with me this year with my current roommates

(2) Townhouse:

Pros:
- will be living with two other people
- extremely nice house
- shares a parking lot with my favourite gym that I regularly visit
- extremely close to grocery stores, mall, coffee shops, etc.
- the two other people are very responsible: they are both 24 years old; one is a medical student, and the other is a nurse
- busses will never be full in this location
- much easier move-in/move-out situation
- really nice appliances, television, furniture
- would have to share a bathroom with only one other girl
- one roommate would be gone for three months out of the seven that I will be living there
- the rent here is all-inclusive
- more spacious house

Cons:
- 25 minutes away from campus (by bus); two busses
- a little bit more of an infrequent bus schedule, when compared to the first house
- if I choose this house, my friend will probably be a little bit upset with me - and I like her as a friend
- $20 cab ride from downtown (can bus it sometimes before the bar, maybe)
- might get lonely at times
- kind of far from where most of my friends live

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Where would you live? - March 24th 2014, 03:52 AM

How long would you be living in either of these places? If it's a year or less, I think I'd go with the second choice. There seem to be many more cons with the first choice, and the biggest cons with the second choice are essentially 1) less convenient transportation, and 2) less contact with same-age peers. You can adjust to the commute (trust me, I adjusted to a THREE HOUR EACH WAY commute for one semester, three days per week), and if you really want to spend time with friends, you can make the time (assuming your busy schedule allows for it). I lived on my own for 17 months. Yes, it was lonely at times, but after dealing with some frustrating roommate situations, I was ultimately glad I decided to live on my own. I still had the option of visiting friends when the mood struck me (and when my schedule allowed for socializing)!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Where would you live? - March 24th 2014, 03:58 AM

I agree with Robin. I'm currently on my fourth "bad" roommate and believe me, your desire to be alone is very important. You mentioned being in a bedroom with 3 other people and that immediately rose a red flag for me. The second place is further but your language alone seems to tell me that you'd be happier there. Besides, you like to study at home so you don't need to be too too close to campus.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Where would you live? - March 24th 2014, 04:32 AM

I live in a townhouse with three others. We all have our own space and when you like studying at home and being isolated to concentrate, it is the best idea. That is just my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't consider the other pros and cons, just because this is about doing the best you can in school and being able to focus. Staying somewhere you are comfortable in and have the fewest distractions seems like the best way to go. As the other two have said, if you have time to see your friends you will see them.

The only exception I have ever made to this, and I have lived on my own/ with friends for two years while at my university, is that I lived on campus with two of my close friends for one of those years. The reason being is that we have the same major, same classes, thus helped one another to study and ended up doing quite well. While this caused a rift between one of my friends and I, I stayed just as close of friends with the other. It does not always cause problems to stay with them, it really depends on the people and how you connect in a living situation together. A part from us all being biology majors, being around friends all the time is a huge distraction for me personally to study. My friends have learned to respect my space when I have a lot going on academically, especially since I get easily stressed and struggle to concentrate.

If it were not for the distraction, I would almost always pick to stay with friends for the company and comfort that would provide. Ask yourself, what is important right now in your current situation? If you need space for your studies, your friends would understand, and you can always make time for them.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

Closed Thread