TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
notinthemood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I think my mom is mentally ill... - March 29th 2014, 10:54 PM

In the past months my mom has drastically changed. She used to be those typical asian mom's who worried over your grades and what not. My mom has this habit of never letting go. She'll always remember every single detail of the bad things you did to her. She'll always bring it up 24/7 to remind me,my sister, and my dad of the bad things we said or did to her from years ago. It hurts but I try not to let it get to me. She also reminds us of the sacrifices she made like moving to America and letting me become a U.S. citizen. But one day, when my dad came back home for vacation (he works in a different country), she kept bringing up about his ex-wife and his stepdaughter. (My mom is his second wife). This caused my dad to get mad and he told her to shut up.
Well, apparently this made my mom go crazy. All of a sudden she stopped doing the laundry, cooking, paying the bills, and etc. She even stopped eating regularly. The only thing she eats are jam sandwiches. So me and my sis started doing the housework. We've been doing this for the past few months. Even though we offer food we make she refuses to eat it. She keeps badmouthing our dad even though he didn't do anything bad. She thinks he's going to kill her. Our dad would never do anything like that. And she forces us to sign these documents saying we did bad things to her and that our dad is a bad man. She tried to make us sign this paper saying our dad brain washed us. I got so fed up that I said some mean things to her and she got even more paranoid. She says that I'm just like my dad; she thinks now I'm going to kill her. She claims that me and my dad are plotting to kill her and she says she has evidence of our emails. (None of those emails mention ANYTHING about killing her.) It's like she believes in her own lies. She also thinks I have mental problems which I don't believe is true. She acts like she's all innocent and that we're the evil ones. I just can't stand her anymore. All she does is hurt everyone around her by saying mean things.
Recently, she just used her credit card and bought a $20,000 watch without even saying anything to my dad. Now our family doesn't have enough money, we're barely living by. She just doesn't realize what kind of harm she's causing us. She thinks she has the rights to do whatever she wants just because she sacrificed herself for us. She always calls me trash or a prostitute just because I wear shorts to school. She lies to our neighbors saying that we're bad kids and that we're abusing her when we actually DON'T. Ugh. I just can't. It's like she just wants to do anything to hurt me. I've told her she needs some help but she refuses to hear any kind of advice from me, my dad, or sister. We try to give her advice but she thinks we're insulting her. I don't think she'll want to go see a counselor or psychologist. She thinks she's perfectly fine. I don't know what to do anymore. My dad wants to get a divorce.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I think my mom is mentally ill... - March 30th 2014, 02:19 AM

Hey there, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with all this. It sounds really hard. Even if you don't think your mom will be open to seeking help, it doesn't mean that the rest of your family can't. Not only would a professional be able to help you all deal with everything, but they could also suggest things that you can do to help, or ways to get her to accept help. If you're interested and need a place to start, your school counselor should know of local resources for you and/or your family.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread