TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Malik

Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12

17 year olds and bedtime (not that this has much to do with self harm, but I am not sure where else to post the thread) - May 13th 2014, 09:29 PM

I ended up getting in big trouble last night, and I didn't even do anything remotely wrong, but I almost got borderline grounded.

Because the other night I was crying so hard about my depression, and losing my friends, and well into the very late hours at night. I was sitting on my bed crying into a pillow. I didn't even do anything wrong, and my mother was there for several hours of my crying and I was sad, but my parents put a serious restriction on me and they got tired of me because of me being sad for many months...and they won't even do anything to help me regain my friends. I have mentioned why I was depressed in many of my other threads months ago.

They ended up giving me a strict bedtime, and some nights they also force me to take a pill that puts me to sleep and most parents usually don't care about bedtime by this age. They also tried to take away my phone even though I have had it since December 25, 2012, so I have had it for over a year.

When she told my dad, he flipped completely and with a bad attitude the next morning. This happened the night of May 8th...and on the morning of May 9th he was not feeling bad for me. He was mad that I stayed up very late that night...I didn't do it on purpose, I was seriously depressed and crying. I have been depressed for 5+ months and it has gone untreated since just before Christmas, in Dec. 2013. This also causes me to self harm. My dad is one of the worst 5% of people in the U.S. population.

I am only one year away from being a legal adult but my parents are not treating me as such.

Last edited by Ennui.; May 14th 2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Moving thread to more appropriate forum- Friends & Family.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14

Re: 17 year olds and bedtime (not that this has much to do with self harm, but I am not sure where else to post the thread) - May 13th 2014, 10:07 PM

Ok im guessing you aint posting this for a depression question but a parent one? Well since my parents are pretty insane, Id say i know how you feel. When they found out i SH they flipped and started dialing numbers to social services saying they dont want anything to do with my and shit. Not a really soothing gesture now is it eh?
Basically im pretty sure your parents are affraid and dont know what to do. Either that or they are just you know... Insane for getting a bedtime arrangement for a freakin 17 year old.
Bear in mind, i have a family member who is 22 years old and they are treated like they have 5 years less. Insane parents as i said.
But basically, im guessing they dont know what to do. So, for your depresion id either talk to them (ok i wouldnt if i were on your stop but thats just me and my negative family connection talking) or to a professional. Me personally, Im disgusted by psychiatrists. Idk why, they just make my skin crawl and downright make me sick. I mean i knew a lot of people who are fucking awesome but when i found out their profession... I was just like: NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

BUT BUT BUT
Shrinks, even though they rummage around your head and shit, can help you. Even though a shrink never successfuly helped me (thats because i havent cooperated), ive met A LOT of people who cooperated and had a wonderful time. Why? I still dont know. But if youre not as insane as i am and have irrational fears and shit, go ahead a professional CAN help you. Also theres nothing to be affraid of, you said yourself that you will soon be 18, its completely normal for an adult to go to a psychiatrist.
Anyways mate, good luck and stuffs, I hope i havent sucked THAT much with the helping stuffs, its this easy:
Either talk to your parents about your situation and explain what they should do
Or
Go to a professional who knows what they should do.
Good luck with anything you decide, even if its not something i proposed.
Stay strong mate!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: 17 year olds and bedtime (not that this has much to do with self harm, but I am not sure where else to post the thread) - May 13th 2014, 10:37 PM

Hi there,

I think you should tell your parents that you're depressed and try asking to see a professional to help you cope with what you're going through. A professional will listen to all of your concerns and will give you advice and positive coping mechanisms.

It seems like your parents have the right intentions; that they want to help you but aren't sure how to go about doing that. It's important to express your feelings about this bedtime and taking the medicine that you are forced to take. Maybe you can make a new deal, or something like that! In my house, it doesn't matter when we're in bed as long as we are up and ready to go the next day.

The bright side of this is that you will be considered an adult soon; you will be able to seek help without your parents having to know if you prefer that.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Peter Pan Offline
New Memeber
Not a n00b

Name: Peter Pan

Points: 6,359, Level: 11 Points: 6,359, Level: 11 Points: 6,359, Level: 11

Re: 17 year olds and bedtime (not that this has much to do with self harm, but I am not sure where else to post the thread) - May 20th 2014, 06:38 PM

You were in distress and really upset, and they did that do you??!?! That is the nastiest thing parents can do. *hugs* Plus, you are 17, so you are almost an adult and you are not even allowed to have emotions. They should have comforted you not be A holes. My parents make me take my pills at 7:30 so I am asleep by 8pm but I am 13!! And being punished for real reasons. Which I guess is there way of looking after me but you are 17 AGGGHHH... I would give a better reply but I am drugged up sorry.
Closed Thread