TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Icy Fox Offline
Swimmer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan

My Dad and Smokeless Tobacco - August 4th 2014, 11:54 PM

When I was a kid i remember my dad spitting tobacco all the time into a cup and how its was pretty nasty. Probably up until I was 7 he was spitting tobacco. Then it disappeared. I never saw any tobacco from him for 4 years until one day I found a disc of tobacco sort of hidden in our garage. I remember my mom saying over those 4 years ''He has quit''. So I just didn't believe that it was his or thought it was an old cylinder or something. Today he was coming up the driveway and he stopped to ask me something about the yard and behold I see a tobacco cylinder in his console and a 'spit cup'. LIKE WHAT THE FUCK. I feel like I have been lied to for many years and my dad does not car for his health as much as he thought he did. He is training for a marathon too and starting to workout more. Im not sure what his reasoning is for smokeless tobacco but there is never going to be a good reason. What if he gets oral cancer, who would have to take care of the family? I would, I would have to drop my life plans and take care of the family or something.

Im not sure what to do if do anything. Its his life I guess. I just feel like he a dishonest person now and that I know him less than I thought. Im not sure if mom knows either. Help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gwynbleidd Offline
Seeking Zireael
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: My Dad and Smokeless Tobacco - August 5th 2014, 12:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Icy Fox it sounds terrible. But you cant make him quit, you can encourage him by telling him the cons like smelling bad mouth cancer bad teeth and cash drain but it's his life. Let it be a lesson for you to never try tobacco. Since your 17 now once you turn 18 you can move to the other side of the country and let your family go the way it is. Asking your Mom whether she knew or not might not be best because if she says she knew it might make you think your surrounded by liars. The only real thing to do is tell your Dad the bads of it and then if he doesn't do anything then you have to just ignore it for 1 more year. Hope this helps persevere through it!

Tell me a lie in a beautiful way,
I believe in answers, just not today

"Ced'mil, bloede dh'oine... Hocus-pocus... Abracadabra...Arse blathanna..."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My Dad and Smokeless Tobacco - August 5th 2014, 01:06 PM

I am sorry to hear that your father is doing this. Although, I need to play devils advocate for a moment, for one, he may be lying to you because he knows how incredibly bad it is for his health but it is an addiction and addictions have such a powerful hold on the mind, and he probably thinks if you know it might negatively influence you (like if he does it, then so can you sort of thing).

With that said, maybe you should speak to your dad and ask him why he is hiding it, or better yet doing it at all in the light of him trying to be healthier.

And not that it's a huge reassurance or something, while tobacco is risky and unhealthy, it doesn't necessarily mean anything horrible will happen any time soon. I know a lot of people who have smoked for decades and while they lung functioning is reduced nothing severe has happened to them as of yet. I know it is worrying owing to the risks, but it merely increases some of them, it doesn't necessarily make those decades sooner or anything

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KruSuPhy Offline
Real Friends
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Coty

Re: My Dad and Smokeless Tobacco - August 6th 2014, 03:14 AM

You've got to realize that maybe he hasn't been lying to you for four years - people DO quit and then start again. It's very possible that when you didn't see it for those four years, he really had stopped, and maybe he's just recently started again.

It may not be optimal that he's started again, but at least then you know you haven't been lied to for several years!

Slow down, you crazy child
you're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, tell me
Why are you still so afraid?
  Send a message via AIM to KruSuPhy  
Closed Thread