TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hpgw123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 4th 2014, 01:03 AM

Today was my first day of High School. It was okay but in my gym and lunch classes I have absolutely no friends. I am taking a sophomore class which threw off my entire schedule and I am with very few freshman in lunch and gym. There are a few people but they are the 'popular kids'. Today, I sat with my older sister and her friends who are all seniors. They were nice and said I could sit with them this semester but I feel pathetic and sad. I have been contemplating sitting alone with a book or something. Or maybe go to the library. I really don't want to impose myself on my sister. What should I do? And Gym class is just as bad. There are like 7 other freshmen in the class from another middle school and all other older people. I just sat on the bleachers barely talking to anyone. I don't know what to do... Any advice???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 4th 2014, 01:22 AM

Hey,

I know this feels easier said than done, but sometimes you have to get out there and approach people! I know it is scary, but it's the best way to start meeting new people. I'm practically alone here at my college too, so I know how you feel, but not everyone's out to get you and not everyone would get upset if you asked to sit with them or started up a conversation in gym class.

Take gym, for example, you can walk up to a person, or people, who seem nice enough. Introduce yourself and ask them how they like the class, then you can build up from there.

Or at lunch, you can ask to sit with a group of people that seems nice enough. You can then ask them how they are and some of their interests and who some of their teachers are.

It'll also get easier as time goes on. It'll be easier to approach people when you get used to your surroundings more.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 4th 2014, 01:34 AM

I also kind of had this problem and decided to sit alone and read at lunch instead. While I don't regret doing so, I should warn you that doing that all the time will lump you into the "shy kid" category. You should really just sit with your sister if they're inviting you to. I did that freshman year and ended up making friends who were in different grades.

As for gym, just do your best and be competitive. I didn't know anybody in my gym class and over half of them were upperclassmen, but it was easy to make friends with the girls who played just as hard as I did.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 5th 2014, 04:31 AM

Hey there,

I don't think there would be anything wrong with sitting with your sister. Maybe you could try talking to her about this when you are at home and let her know that you don't want to impose on her. Explain to her that you have no problem trying to figure out something else to do and go from there. If you sat with your sister you might end up making some friends with older kids which wouldn't be the worst thing. It could broaden your circle a bit.

Also, it might be a good idea to try and introduce yourself to people. I know that can be really hard to do but in the end it might be a great way to go about making friends and stuff like that. And, sometimes things that start out hard get easier the more you do them.

I hope this helped and wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 5th 2014, 07:58 PM

Hi there! I've just been through my first week of sophomore, just like you, and I knew NO ONE. Not a soul. I didn't even have a sister to sit with. I was very almost in your situation, but I avoided it easily: I just asked the girl I was sitting next to in class if I could have lunch with her. I explained that I'm new here and that I don't know anyone. She said 'yes of course', so I ended up having lunch with her, meeting her friends, and now she's the one I hang out with. It can be hard to just suddenly ask if you can have lunch with someone, but once you've broken the ice it's so relieving. If the person is kind and someone you'd wanna be friends with, he/she 'll say yes. If they refuse, they're obviously an asshole and someone you wouldn't wanna be friends with, so on the bright side: at least now you know!
Bugt honestly, the chances are the person you'll be seated next to will be a friendly and decent person. Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out fine!

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nobody to sit with at lunch. I feel pathetic - September 6th 2014, 11:17 AM

I know it can be intimidating but honestly, just walking up to people and introducing yourself works wonders. Seriously, I do it all the time and it always ends well. You don't even need a reason "hi I'm [blank], how are you liking gym?" "oh hey, I really like your shoes, where did you get them"... The list runs on. It's limitless. And if the other person stares at you like you are sprouting tentacles from your forehead then that's because they have poor social skills because people use icebreakers all the time to meet people.

The first week of school is always hard.... Like I am not really close to anyone in my program yet because we're all still getting to know each other... Next week will be easier...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread