TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NotExactlyCrazy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Charlie
Location: Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Points: 7,454, Level: 12 Points: 7,454, Level: 12 Points: 7,454, Level: 12

Unhappy High School Senior - September 4th 2014, 07:53 PM

I am sort of freaking out. I feel like I'm choking and suffocating.
I just got off the phone with my guidance counselor, who is new. I go to school online. She informed me that my application for Dual-Psychology has been rejected because I missed the registration deadline, which was not listed on our school's website. She is such a nice person and she was trying to help me get through my planning for College Apps, but I started tearing up on the phone for no reason and having a panic attack and now I can't stop. I have anxiety and depression, and I am medicated for it, but she doesn't know that. And I got short with her right before we hung up because I could barely breathe and now I'm sure she hates me and I-How am I going to make it through this year? What if I don't get in? What if I can't find scholarships? What if I don't graduate?
I don't know what to do and I don't know how I am going to get through this year.

I am the one who loved you. I am the one who stayed. I am the one and you walked away. I am the one who waited, and now you act like you just don't give a damn. Like you never knew who I am.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: High School Senior - September 4th 2014, 10:59 PM

Hey Charlie,

The fall semester of senior year can be hectic. I remember I felt the same way with college apps and all that other stuff. What I would recommend doing is proritizing everything as well as getting everything deadline put into a big calendar, all in one place. What I found most helpful was setting reminders on my phone as for deadlines, submissions, and when to do things as well as keeping up with school classes.

Its good that you are already talking to your guidance counselor about this. As for applying to colleges, it would be a good idea to research some schools. Do you know what you want to major in? Once you have that decided, try looking up schools who have a good program for it. For example, I am an engineering major and I did research on schools with a strong engineering program and looked up the criteria for admission into those schools. Once you have your list of schools made, make a list of everything each one requires such as test scores, application essays, as well as other things such as writing supplements.

Again, prioritize and staying organized in the major key in getting through this. As for getting into college, I'm sure you will get in somewhere. Just keep researching and you will find something out there for you. If you are unsure on something, talking to your guidance counselor is probably your best bet.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: High School Senior - September 5th 2014, 12:59 AM

Charlie, I know you're under a lot of stress right now. Take a deep breath and slow down for a minute. I know that depression and anxiety plus stress can be a bad combination. I'm sorry that the dual psychology didn't happen I hate when you're just supposed to know when deadlines are. I noticed though that you jumped from one rejected application to a panic attack to what if I don't graduate and how am I going to make it through the whole year. I have a tendency to do this too. Start with one day at a time, so today wasn't so great, this doesn't mean the rest of the year will be bad.

As for applying to college here's my list of tips:

1. If your applications are being submitted by your school their deadline to have everything in should be before winter break (December) so keep that in mind. You will need your school to send your transcripts directly to all the colleges to apply to.

2. Keep track of any scholarship deadlines and make a list of what you need for each one and when it's due by and where to send everything.

3. The priority FAFSA deadline is March 1st it can be filled out online at fafsa.gov, you will need your parent's financial information and social security numbers, birthdates etc. Be careful how much loans you take out since you'll have to pay them back.

4. For college choices consider:
a. cost

b. In-state or out of state

c. Community college or 4-year school (community college is a lot less expensive and you can get the core stuff done cheaper and then transfer where you want)

d. If 4-year school do you want to live on campus or commute (depending on the distance, you may not have a
choice for the first 2 years)

e. Major (some majors are only available at certain schools)

Get a calendar or planner and write down homework, due dates, and deadlines for everything. Most schools will have the same or similar deadlines and you apply online for free. If you don't get in to every school you apply to, that's okay. Apply to at least one that you know you'll get into just in case. I know it seems overwhelming right now, and it is a lot to manage, but take it one day at a time and you will get through this.

The what ifs will drive you crazy, think them all the way though or challenge them. What are the realistic chances that you won't graduate? If you don't what would really happen? etc.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: High School Senior - September 5th 2014, 02:27 PM

I'm a junior in college and I remember my senior year of high school being pretty hectic in the fall and when the spring time came around, it wasn't as hectic except when it came time for final exams.

I suggest that you get a daily planner and plan your day by day stuff. I also suggest having a big enough calendar in your room and put down important dates and assignments (keep the daily planner for school assignments, tests, quizzes, etc.

Member Since 1/15/2012
Closed Thread