TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Chantelle

sentencing - September 29th 2014, 01:29 AM

this wednesday my dad gets his sentecing for sexual abusing kids and i dont know how i will handle it cause im under alot of stress this week cause its my first week with 2 jobs and im scared

There is always someone who cares about you. It may not seem like it but there is. I can promise you that much.
  Send a message via MSN to monkey01  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
RadioSerenade Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: The Limelighter

Re: sentencing - September 30th 2014, 10:54 AM

Well to begin with, the first thing you need to do is figure out the reason why you are under a lot of stress and try and not that in the bud because I can virtually guarantee you, you are probably not going to handle any sentence well if you are not mentally prepared, so make sure you are ready and that you are relaxed and comfortable coming into the scenario. Make sure you understand the scenario as well, understand what the process exactly is in your state and in your country.

Normally there is a support person appointed by the court who is just there to talk you through the process or even just a service you can call and make sure you understand how a sentencing hearing works and what you can expect. You can ask your personal attorney if you have one or you can even contact the police while they are off emergency duties and get them to maybe link you up with someone who can talk you through it.

I refuse to comment on the outcome of the case for fear of the jeopardisation of the integrity of the case but what I do know is these sorts of offences may attract jail terms so that is something you have to be aware of and prepared for. I think you can find solace though, in the fact that no matter what happens, no matter what your father gets sentenced to, there will normally be protection measures in place for the protection of victims and witnesses.

Such measures include the appointment of an order criminalising any contact with you or your personal property, and these are normally administered by the courts after the sentence is handed down. You can always talk to the police official involved in looking after the case and get their mentorship because the police are always the first point of call when it comes to protection measures such as these.

You can also take solace in the fact that he has now been found guilty and the matter has gone to court meaning the precedent has been set, the case actually goes down in big books documenting cases and the results of such cases. This is known as the Doctrine of Precedent and basically states that any case can be used in the development of a result of a similar case.

What that means is that literally legally, the judge is protecting you by making comments on your father's case, which other lawyers can later use as secondary evidence. Basically, your pain that goes into the investment of this court case may help prevent and enforce other incidents in the future.

I mean being scared is normal but it might help knowing the police, the court system, independent victim support networks, all these people are responding to a disgusting case of the abuse YOU faced. People are protecting you, armed with a helpful ear, legal knowledge and power, and also firearms, capsicum spray, batons and court orderrs.

My friend, you are not in danger after this sentence is handed down and even after he finishes serving such a sentence. People are out there to protect you no matter what happens tomorrow, just remember that.

And we are hear to listen. Thanks so much for writing in and if you ever need anything, just pop by and we will try and help you out the best we can . I am sorry if this sounded kind of peppy or weird considering I don't know much about the case, but I hope I did help somehow. .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Chantelle

Re: sentencing - October 2nd 2014, 12:51 AM

It got pushed to December 10 cause he got arrested and the judge didn't have time to look at the paperwork so he is free till December and the judge is looking at 6 years

There is always someone who cares about you. It may not seem like it but there is. I can promise you that much.
  Send a message via MSN to monkey01  
Closed Thread