TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Friend attempeted suicide - May 10th 2009, 04:17 AM

So I've known this girl for a while she was in girl scouts with me and shes in my computer class now. Recently she attempted suicide and now I don't really know how to act when I'm around her. I mean i was never really her friend I never talked to her before this. But now I'm scared that if I start talking to her shes gunna think its because I feel sorry for her (witch is true) and if I talk to her what am I going to say like I don't want to make it seem like all I think about when shes around is that she attempted suicide (also true) i want it to seem like I don't even know she did it or like it never happened i guess, cause I know everyones been treating her differently after she came back to school and i don't want it to seem like im treating her differently too. So thats why i don't want to ignore her like i usually do because it might seem like i dont like her cause of what she did (and i go to a catholic high school and i know a few people feel that way about her now). I just want to make coming back to school a little bit easier for her but i dont know how. a little help please?
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cleverkid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friend attempeted suicide - May 10th 2009, 04:34 AM

I'm no psychologist, do your best to treat her like a person I Guess. You cant take personal responsibility for something like suicide unless you are the one thinking about it. That being said, just do what you can to be civil, fair ,and kind to her. You dont and SHOULDNT be forced into a friendship because of her actions. Take what she did as a reminder that everyone has their own struggles, and try to use that knowledge to remember to treat everyone with a sense of civility, which would include her.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Friend attempeted suicide - May 11th 2009, 10:06 PM

Hi Brianna,

I don't think feeling obligated is a good reason to start up a friendship. If you truly care about this person and how she is feeling, then get to know her better and ask if she wants to hang out, but if you just want to get to know her because she attempted suicide, then I don't think that's a good idea.

If you care about this girl and would like to be friends, then ask for her phone number or email and start hanging out with her outside of school. That makes it less likely that you are just hanging out with her because you feel you have to. It's also a good way to make her feel comfortable and have her know that people want to spend time with her.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Drey

Re: Friend attempeted suicide - May 11th 2009, 10:14 PM

I agree with what the posters above me have said. If you feel like starting a friendship with this person only because of what happened (and it seems like you do) then I don't believe you should be starting this friendship. You know that you don't want to treat her any differently but if this is the reason you want to start a friendship with her, then that is exactly what you are doing (treating her differently).

If however, you had been contemplating a friendship with her before this happened, then perhaps this situation may make it slightly easier for you to begin a friendship with her.

Choose wisely. I know you will. I'm here if you want to talk.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: Friend attempeted suicide - May 11th 2009, 10:39 PM

k thanks guys!! you guys r awesome!

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
Closed Thread