TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ
Average Joe

How do I deal with all this? - April 30th 2015, 01:45 PM

Long story short - there is a Christian organization on my school's campus that is doing this camping type trip next week for one week. It's not necessarily a retreat but we'll call it that for lack of a better name for it.

Because I'm a new Christian, I was having anxiety about leaving for a week. I suffer from an anxiety disorder that makes it hard for me to be away for a week and be outside for that long. It's related to agoraphobia and I really just want to take my own time with it. I called the staff worker of the Christian organization and she tried to talk me through how nice everyone will be, and how supportive everyone will be. I then found out some of my very good friends were going. Eventually, I became super excited to go! I really, truly wanted to.

This is the week before the retreat. And for a month I have been having stomach pains that I've just kind of been ignoring. I've had issues with my stomach on and off since I was a baby so I figured it was nothing new; just another "thing." But this week the pain started to intensify, so my mom called the doctor and the doctor requested an urgent ultrasound.

Yesterday I had the ultrasound done and found out immediately (the only reason I found out right away is because the doctor requested urgent results) that I have something called hydronephorisis and throughout next week will need to get some tests done. My kidney is not okay, I'm in A LOT of pain, the medication I'd been taking had side effects of drowsiness, dizziness, and blurred vision.

I'm terrified and so are my parents because those issues with my stomach as a baby were bad, and we're just concerned that they're back. We're hoping it's something as minor as a kidney stone or UTI, but no one knows. And I have to have some awful, scary tests done. And I'm LOADS of pain; literally, it hurts to walk around too much.

Last night I had to tell the staff worker what was going on. Her and another member of the Christian organization started talking about me behind my back, and they confronted me asking me if I was lying! These people barely know me. Five or six years ago, I struggled with lying in order to make up excuses for things. But after learning my lesson and now recently becoming a Christian, I could never think to do that.

And these people don't even know me!!! But they made this assumption. I offered to share my reports with them, have them talk to my mom, etc. etc. And all they said was "lol no, it's ok, I hate talking on the phone! Hahaha."

So I guess they trust me but they aren't even sorry. It hurts me so, so much. I think they still have doubts.

How do I go about showing them that I honestly am not lying? I think they trust me and if I bring it up they might see that I have "an attitude" and they might take away the leadership position they told me I could train for within the next year or two.

I expected better out of them. I thought we'd make good friends. But they broke my heart. This one girl said she had been lied to about a braintumor, so I understand her concern, but that was NOT an appropriate question to ask me without proof - especially since I'm in a lot of pain, and the tests I have to get done do NOT sound easy.

Last edited by arepo; May 1st 2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Moving to Friends & Family. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: How do I deal with all this? - April 30th 2015, 02:03 PM

I hope everything goes well with your testing in the coming week, struggling with health issues of any sort is not fun.

It wasn't right for those girls to accuse you of lying, and you don't have to show them proof. Yes, you lied in the past and if they know about it, then they'd understand you no longer do that as you are now a Christian. Some people can be so close-minded, and that gives Christians a bad rep. You were telling the truth and they should have accepted that as fact, you don't have to bring your mum and the doctors into it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: How do I deal with all this? - April 30th 2015, 06:37 PM

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your health scare and I wish you the very best moving forward. I hope everything goes well and that you make as quick a recovery as possible.

I agree that those members were wrong for talking behind your back and accusing you of lying, especially when you offered proof that you were being truthful.

If you wish, I think you can approach the situation cordially in an effort to show them your illness is legitimate. Perhaps explain to them politely that their doubts hurt you and while you have been untruthful in the past, you can prove to them that you are telling the truth about this. It may also help to let them know how much being part of the Christian organization means to you.

I hope everything works out. Take care

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AndrewCarrick Offline
AndrewCarrick
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andrew Carrick

Re: How do I deal with all this? - May 5th 2015, 01:40 PM

I have been having stomach pains that I've just kind of been ignoring.

Closed Thread