TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ylime698 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Spoilt sister. - September 28th 2015, 07:12 PM

My 6 year old sister is getting more spoilt by the second, and I can't do a thing about it! Pleas give me coping advice..?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Spoilt sister. - September 29th 2015, 01:36 AM

Hi there!

It can be frustrating when a sibling seems to always get their way. Although, I was curious as to why this feels upsetting? I can understand in a basic way but knowing why it upsets you would be helpful in offering you more detailed advice. For example, does your sister misbehave often but still get spoiled? If that's the case then it might be worth pointing out to your parents that if she always gets her way regardless or whether or not she behaves then it's reinforcing that negative behavior.

As for coping, even though it's easier said than done, try not to to focus on this too much. Distract yourself with hobbies you enjoy, get immersed in new things and just do your best to let go of the frustration you feel towards this whenever possible. Relax with your favorite snack and just do what makes you happy and what relaxes you.

I understand that you're frustrated with your sister right now but I hope this issue doesn't get in the way of you bonding with her. Even if she doesn't know it right now, she'll always need her older sibling's support and care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ylime698 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Spoilt sister. - September 29th 2015, 06:20 AM

Lets just say, she always gets her way, and is never punished. Yesterday, she had her friend round and during dinner she was rubbing her lip against my arm. Who does that? Her friend was much better behaved than her.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Spoilt sister. - September 29th 2015, 05:32 PM

Hey there,

Sometimes being the older one isn't easy. I'm the eldest out of me and my sister and she can be pretty spoilt, so I do understand what you're going through. You have to try to remember that your sister is only 6, so she is bound to get away with a little more as she is so much younger. I know it is easy to lose your temper but she is a child and it is up to your mum and dad as to whether they give into her or not. Try to remember that you probably done similar things when you was the same age.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Spoilt sister. - September 30th 2015, 09:15 PM

You two do have a big age gap. A six year old and a twelve year old are very different. What is OK for you and what would be OK for her are two different things. While you may find her habits annoying and her behavior may come across as being spoiled, it sounds like she is just trying to get your attention. You are her big sister and that makes you one of the coolest people she knows. Perhaps spending a little more quality time with her will help her not act out so much. Play a board game with her or read her a story. By spending meaningful time with her, she will be less likely to grab your attention in negative ways, like rubbing her lips on your arm. It's worth a try!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ylime698 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Spoilt sister. - October 1st 2015, 04:49 PM

Can I also add I have an older sister.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Spoilt sister. - October 1st 2015, 11:23 PM

It sounds like your sister is very immature. I have a younger cousin like that. Even though he's 12, he basically has the mental capacity/maturity of a 6-7 year old. It's really annoying, and it goes back to some problems that he had as a baby I think which affected his development. A lot of the time, kids who have some kind of behavioural issue just need to be approached differently. Maybe it's just that your parents have been too permissive. Maybe she's immature. Maybe she's got some sort of developmental issues / disabilities like my cousin. She might just need you to calmly say "please stop..." And then you explain why like "that's kind of gross when you lick my arm and I don't like it, I don't think you'd like it either, so please don't do it again".

Another thing is that if she's spoiled and immature, she might just grow up. There is a big age difference between the two of you and you just might be at a point where her childish behaviours are more apparent to you than they used to be. If needed, you might want to talk to your parents and let them know what is upsetting you. They might be able to help you and your sister deal with the problem.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread