TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astar Offline
Not a n00b

My friend - November 2nd 2015, 06:06 PM

I've got this friend who I'm quite close with- we chat all the time and often work together etc. Anyway a lot of other people in the class don't like him cos he's.. A bit different.. Like he's always talking about things in a sexual way and says some stuff that people feel embarrassed about. I do really like him though cos he's a really nice guy and really great fun and I think I do want to his close friend. But because of other people disliking him I feel awkward. And yes I know that makes me sound horrible to judge someone like that but I've had pretty severe anxiety for four years and sometime just one slight comment on me changes my day.. Already a few of the meaner girls have started making comments on how were 'dating' etc.. I know I shouldn't care what people think but I don't know how to stop..

I can do it and I can get through it. So can you xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My friend - November 3rd 2015, 12:14 AM

If you like being friends with this guy then, quite frankly, screw what other people think. Not everyone needs to like him and you don't need anyone's approval.

In highschool it's common for people to make comments about friends who are the opposite sex to each other. However, it shows a lack of maturity and open-mindedness and I don't think you should let it get to you. If you have both male and female friends then I think that's great.

Be kind to yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My friend - November 3rd 2015, 05:51 AM

Hi there!

I understand how it'd be stressful for you since rumors tend to go around from spending time with him. The first thought might be: "should I continue hanging out with him despite the issues surrounding that?" If you enjoy his company and consider him a true friend then yes, of course you should continue spending time with him.

I realize that hearing such comments is difficult for you but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Rumors are rumors and the comments are just comments. They hurt and they can cause anxiety - I'm not saying they have no impact on you or wouldn't to anyone else in your situation. I would feel upset too, you know? It's hard when lots of people seem to disapprove. Many would feel the same when it comes to rude comments and untrue rumors being spread around. But if you enjoy spending time with your friend, don't let the immaturity of those around you ruin a perfectly good friendship.

As Jasmine said, not everyone has to like him and you don't need anyone's approval to enjoy a friendship. A friendship is a bond between you and another. It is not anyone else's business. When you are talking to your friend or spending time with him, take a moment to focus on the joy you are experiencing. Isn't that worth it? I imagine he enjoys your company a lot too. So no one else has to approve of that for you to continue spending your spare time with him. Always keep in mind that a friendship can last a lot longer than rumors. And the friendship is a lot more meaningful and most importantly; true.

Hope this helped and that this situation becomes a bit easier for you. Take care and hang in there.

Closed Thread