TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Family is on a diet - March 18th 2017, 08:32 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, move it if better suited elsewhere!

Important first note; my family does not know about the eating disorder diagnoses I received a few months back. As far as I'm aware, they don't even know that I've received mental health counseling since I went through the services offered at my university. Certain family members have responded negatively to my mental health issues in the past, therefore I am not open to discussing the eating disorder with them.

My parents and brother have been on a health kick for the past few months, and they all just started a new diet together. They haven't asked me to join them, and I do not think they will, however they often discuss the finer details of calorie content, weight loss, etc. in front of me and I find it difficult to get out of those conversations or steer the conversation elsewhere. This obviously isn't being done with any ill intent - they have no way of knowing about my ED - but is something that is massively triggering and cumbersome for me to deal with.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas of how to quickly change the conversation or make the conversation cease without making my own struggles evident.

Thank you!

Erin

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Family is on a diet - March 19th 2017, 02:37 PM

Do they talk about it during a certain time, or is it any time? If you could predict the time, then you could try to avoid it based on that. If they don't talk directly to you, but rather to one another in front of you, you can try to leave the situation. You can kind of slip out of the background or you can make an excuse to leave (e.g. forgot something in the car, forgot to do x or y).

You can also practice deep breathing and self-talk when they talk about triggering things. This can be good practice because you can't always leave the situation. Something I've noticed when practicing self-talk is that when I use it enough, I hear that more than I hear what people are saying.

I don't currently have any ideas for changing the topic, but there are a lot of articles online that can be worth taking a look at. Maybe someone with more ideas will post to your thread.

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

Closed Thread