TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Husbands nephew moved out - July 16th 2017, 02:51 AM

First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong category.

Here's what's going on. We lived in a 2 bed apartment with my husbands nephew. It has been nothing but issue after issue because this 22 y/o refused to work a real job, clean up after himself, or even take showers. He couldn't pay any of his stuff on time and expected me to cook and clean for him. They moved out today and it was bad. They refused (him, his dad, and sister) to clean the rooms he used. He is on the lease as an inhabitant of the room but didn't make it on time to sign as a signer on the lease, but is on the lease in the form of an inhabitant. I paid for the deposit and everything and they have no proof that he paid for any of it (I paid in full with a check). The carpet is stained and ruined in that room, it smells, and the carpet literally sticks to your feet... then the walls are the dirtiest I've ever seen and the bathroom still has mold and hair everywhere. His dad and I got into a verbal argument because he refused to clean, he called me the "most evil person he has ever met". Because it's my fault and not the incapable idiot that lived in that room. 😒 They expect us to clean it all even though we didn't use or go in those rooms.

Here's a good part though, we have photos of before, during his stay and we just got new photos after they left. All time stamped. We also have a signed agreement with the person who stayed here stating he was liable for and would pay damages in his room and bathroom. I tried to tell the dad this and he just wanted to argue to I told him we'd see him in small claims.

Has anyone been through something similar or anyone know anything or can send some suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Husbands nephew moved out - July 16th 2017, 02:52 AM

I forgot to add that we are moving in a month to a smaller place so it'll be at least a month or two until I can send them an invoice for the damages.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Husbands nephew moved out - July 16th 2017, 10:05 AM

Did you get the document notarized?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Husbands nephew moved out - July 16th 2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Did you get the document notarized?
It is not but I don't believe it has to be in my state. He is on the legal lease as an inhabitant of that room and bathroom though and I believe that still holds him responsible. The one we made is just handwritten, dated, and signed by both parties. When the time comes I will send an invoice and may charge them a cleaning fee as well and will send a copy of that document to them. It's only $30 to file and they are in a different state so it may cost them more to fight it than to pay it. The room is wrecked and I'm so angry with everything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Husbands nephew moved out - July 17th 2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalJade View Post
It is not but I don't believe it has to be in my state. He is on the legal lease as an inhabitant of that room and bathroom though and I believe that still holds him responsible. The one we made is just handwritten, dated, and signed by both parties. When the time comes I will send an invoice and may charge them a cleaning fee as well and will send a copy of that document to them. It's only $30 to file and they are in a different state so it may cost them more to fight it than to pay it. The room is wrecked and I'm so angry with everything.

I think that having him listed as a legal inhabitant will help but, at least in my state, anyone over the age of 18 has to be listed on the lease however just because they are listed doesn't mean the apartment will hold them accountable. I was listed as an inhabitant on my dad's lease, they took my information, did a background check but my dad was still responsible for everything in regards to paying for stuff.

That being said, if you took it to court I think that him being listed as an inhabitant will be in your favor because there is absolutely no way that he can try and say that he was not living there. If there is someone you can consult for legal advice you might want to do so because different states do have different requirements and stuff like that regarding housing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread