TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Whats a good way to show love towards family - February 2nd 2018, 10:56 PM

I am one for buying people flowers and stuff but I don't know how else to show appreciation for what people do for you on a day to day basis. sometimes I think I am ungrateful and take it for granted and I want to show more love and thankfulness I think everyone takes things for granted sometimes I don't think we realises how lucky we are sometimes.

How can I show more appreciation for what they do for me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Whats a good way to show love towards family - February 3rd 2018, 04:10 PM

It's lovely to see that you'd like to show more appreciation! Buying flowers is a lovely gesture, but understandably you might not be able to do that on a daily basis.

Some people like to be complimented, so if a family member has changed their appearance in some way, or maybe they cooked a nice meal or done something else, not only can you say thank you, but you can pick out something that you really like about them or what they did and let them know. Alternatively, you could always do something nice for them- offer to clean up, help with chores or run errands for them- I'm sure they'll really appreciate it!

Other people might prefer for you to just spend time with them, listen and enjoy their company. So you can always check in with family members, ask how their day was or if you have more time, do something fun together.

One of the most simple things you can do is use physical touch to show appreciation (as long as you and the family members are okay with touch). A pat on the shoulder for 'well done', a rub on the back for comfort, and a hug for anything can help to show appreciation to loved ones

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Whats a good way to show love towards family - February 3rd 2018, 06:54 PM

I think it is great that you want to show others your appreciation for them. I think that we all tend to forget to show people that we appreciate them. I think that has less to do with us being 'bad' people and it has more to do with the fact that we all get busy.

I think there are plenty of things one can do to show appreciation but different people are going to have different ideas about what they need to feel appreciated.

Some of the things I have done is simply tell people thank you. My dad and boyfriend do a lot for me on a day to day basis and so, occasionally, I will tell them 'thank you for everything you do. I hope that you know I appreciate it.' Another thing I will do is randomly buy someone a Thank You card that expresses the things I would like to say to them but struggle with. I have also sent random messages to people in place of a card since there have been times when I didn't have the money to get the card I wanted.

Other things I have done is pick someone up their favorite treat; food for some, a book for others, gift card etc. I don't tend to do this a lot as I have a very limited income and I don't think people always need to be gifted items to feel appreciated.

As Holly stated, there are also people who might appreciate you spending time with them. I know, for me, when someone takes time to sit with me and watch a movie or simply talk I end up feeling quite appreciated.

I hope that this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread