TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ariananicole Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Emancipation - February 7th 2018, 08:26 PM

I donít know if this is where this is supposed to go. If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

This may be very long so please bear with me if it is

Ever since I was a little kid my biggest dream has been to move to LA and start a good life there. I never really liked where I lived. Itís pretty boring and ďcoldĒ itís not too cold for me but my family always says ďput on your jacketĒ ďitís cold out wear long sleeves/long pantsĒ and I never want to. I hate long sleeves and long pants. Anyways thatís less important, now that YouTube is a thing I finally have the opportunity to get there earlier and make a living of myself. Ever since I found out about YouTube Iíve always wanted to do it and make money off of it and finally be able to have my own freedoms of where I wanted to be and who I chose to surround myself with. I spend a lot of time on the internet and met my 2 best friends online. They both live around 20 minutes from LA and Iíve talked to them about this. YouTube isnít the only reason why I wanna go to LA. I wanna be near my friends and I feel that I would feel more alive and more free to be myself there then I do here. Iíve talked to them and they agree with me. They also think that i would do much better there with all of my depression issues since I would be following my dreams,living in an area that suits me (less cold,more people,fast paced and lots of opportunities) and most importantly Iíd have them with me. The people in the area Iím currently in are very slow paced itís cold and most are generally very rude. I wanna be able to feel my happy self and donít even tell me to try local things. Iíve tried everything I possibly could. I wanna be the person Iíve always wanted to be. I wanna inspire people and I wanna make people happy online. But I definately donít have the resources to become successful enough to make my own income and to make as many people as I would like to feel happy and loved in the place I am now. I canít wait til college to do that because I feel like my situation would get worse if I did. I can wait til Iím 15/16 since I am 13 now but thatís about as late as I can go. Iíd also like to leave due to school and family issues. I wanna be independent and free. And the moment I give myself that freedom and independence the moment I can start living my happy life again.

I really need to do this and I need as much help as I can to make this possible. What are my options? I know most of them I will have to wait til 15/16 but thatís fine. I just wanna know what i can do at that age. Thanks!
-Ariana

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emancipation - February 7th 2018, 08:36 PM

I don't know what your options are but LA is expensive so you would need a ton of money. I know people who are currently living in a small one bedroom apartment and paying something like $1200 for rent. That does not include food, pg&e, internet etc. There are plenty of people who are moving out of LA because it is an impossible place to live unless you have money.

If you are intent on moving you might want to watch how much they keep charging for rent over the next few years to determine if you will be able to afford it.

If you want to be emancipated, you have to be able to prove that you can take care of yourself and that means that you would need a job, at the very least. If you truly want to look into emancipation you might want to see if you can find anything about your states laws pertaining to it. I know my dad was emancipated at 17 and there were all types of things he had to do even though he was able to get his dad to agree to letting him get emancipated. I believe it is a lot more difficult if the parents don't agree.

You mention that you are dealing with a lot of stress at home and school and I am wondering if it would help you to discuss what these stressful things are. While I understand your desire to move away (I still think about it at times) talking about the things that are causing you stress might help you work through them and find coping skills. If you are able to cope you might find that you can wait till college to explore LA.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread