TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lunar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lunar

CPS?? - February 10th 2018, 04:49 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm needing some major advice, and I can't exactly talk to my family about it. So, I have an older sister. She has five children, and none of them live with her. (She does retain custody tho.) One lives with my Mamaw, one with her mother (the grandmother of the child) one lives with an Aunt (great aunt of the child) and I truly have no idea where the two youngest are. I think with the father of the children, his family.

My Mamaw needs a lot of help getting around town. She doesn't drive, so I take her to the store, doctors appts, post office, ect. I do this at least 3 times a week. I love my Mamaw, and we are really close, so I truly don't mind it. Well, she has the oldest of my sisters children. C (we will call him). C is around 11 years old, and he is just the sweetest kid. Lately he has needed to go to the doctor, but Mamaw can't take him because he doesn't have a social or a birth certificate. My older sister (We will call her G) has lost it. The only way my mamaw can get another is if she has power of attorney or custody. She refuses to ask G to do this, because she is afraid to upset her. (which I think is dumb, considering if G was really concerned with her children, she would take care of them in the first place, rather than pawning them off.)

G gets benefits from the Gov to help with her kids, such as money and food vouchers. But she uses them for herself, or to sell as a means to get drugs and things of that nature. She has been doing this for years, and these children haven't been in her care for years.

Now, G has recently been put in jail. I don't know how long she will be in there, but she is in jail. I've been considering calling CPS to report the fact that most of her children (everyone but C really) is in a dangerous place (My Aunt, and G's mother also do drugs and are in unstable environments) My Mamaw is very concerned that if anything was to happen to her, C would be in danger, and I 100% believe that. I've first hand watched his mother call him a fat ass, and shove him. Not give him food because she said he is too fat and eats too much of her food. She will leave him with the younger siblings to watch for days while she goes out and does drugs and parties. (Where I live you can't be home alone until you are 14 years old, and even then you can't have any younger siblings or friends with you until you are 16 years old or it is considered child neglect.)

My Mamaw doesn't work. (She is kindly old) My Papaw passed away a few years ago, so she does draw a social security check. But even then she doesn't really have the money to care for C or any of the other children. She takes C because she has raised him since he was born. C doesn't know anyone else but her. She doesn't want anything to happen to him and she worries so much about the other children as well. (I do too if I'm being honest)

Does any of this seem like enough evidence to call CPS? Will they even do anything? I know that G's mom has power of attorney over one child, and my Aunt has over another. As I've said before, I'm not sure about the youngest two, but I know my Mamaw doesn't have any sort of power of attorney over C. She's has asked my husband and I to take him, but we are unsure if this is even possible, or if this could even happen. I want him to be save and well taken care of. I want them all to be, but I just don't know how to help at this moment in time.

So I guess my question is, should I call and make a report in to CPS? Do you think it would even make a difference, or do you think our only option is to wait and hope these children get the help they need one day?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: CPS?? - February 11th 2018, 04:38 PM

Hey there,

It might be worth mentioning all of this to CPS. They might look into it and even if nothing happens it should create a record of her behavior which could help in the future.

I have an acquaintance whose family is dealing with this situation and, in my state, the grandmother is going through the process of becoming the children's guardian without the mom signing them over. I am not 100% sure how that works and I believe it is a long and involved process but it might be worth looking in too? At least, if your Mamaw would be up to it. If she were able to become the guardian of C, she would be able to get the benefits that your sister is getting for him etc. I don't know if it's possible in your state but that might be something to consult with CPS/Child Welfare as I believe that is who my acquaintance talked too.

This definitely all sounds difficult and I imagine it is stressful for your Mamaw especially because she is worried about the children.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread