TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aca-awkward Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 02:05 AM

So I thought this would be fun to see who makes up your family. This includes your "chosen" family. I only listed the people I am really close with, in my family. So you can do the same. You don't have to go into detail like I did.

So in my family I have my grandma who we call nanny. She is my best friend always do everything with her. I can go to her for everything.

Then there is my grandpa who we call poppy. He hates me and always has it seems like he is mean to me.

They have raised me since I was one.

Then there is my mom and I have a really weird relationship. I have never gotten over being mad at her for basically abandoning me and choose drugs and alcohol and her boyfriends over me. She is more a friend then a mom.

Then we have my sister Meghan who is two years and twenty one days older than me which makes her twenty-eight, only she is special needs and is at the maturity of eight to ten year old so I end up taking the role of the older sister.

I do have a half sister but I have never met her and she is thirteen years younger than me.

Then there is my chosen sister. Kimberly who I have known since she was around three years old. We really don't talk much anymore but I still feel like she is a sister.

Then there is Dapples who I met at Girl Scout camp when I was 12 or thirteen. She was the first one who knew how bad my SH was. She always helps me. Even though she doesn't understand a lot of the things I go through she always gives me the best advice and sometimes just venting to her and hearing her say I am doing a good job helps a lot. She is four years older than me. She is also the big sister that my sister cannot be.

So that makes up my family. WHo makes up yours?

I got my ticket for the long way ‘round
Two bottle ‘a whiskey for the way
And I sure would like some sweet company
And I’m leaving tomorrow, wha-do-ya say?

|Member 2007||Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm|
|PM/VM|

Last edited by Aca-awkward; February 13th 2018 at 08:48 AM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Black cats prowl.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 12:39 PM

This is a cool thread!

My chosen family includes my mom and my two brothers. I have nice relationships with each of them in our own ways.

I have a friend I've known since we were about five or six. We have this cool friendship where we can kind of just pick up right where we left off in such a natural way. She's really great.

I have another friend I met when I was twelve. She's very down to earth and she's been through a hell of a life but she's so damn strong.

I have a close therapeutic relationship with my therapist and he is very important to me; he does play a huge role in my life.

And then there are people and friends I have been lucky enough to meet here on TeenHelp.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

When black cats prowl,
and pumpkins gleam
may luck be yours
on Halloween.

Last edited by cynefin; February 13th 2018 at 01:19 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 06:50 PM

This is a really cool thread idea!

The only people in my biological family that I'm actually close to are my sister and one of my cousins. My mom and I have an alright relationship, but we act more like casual acquaintances than mother and daughter.

My best friend has been in my life for almost 20 years, so at this point, I'd definitely consider her family.

My fiancee, her kids, and her sister are definitely the most important people in my chosen family. My life has been made so much better simply by their existence in it and it's really weird to think about times where I had no idea who they were.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 07:42 PM

My dad and I are quite close. I don't get on well with most of my other family members. I care about them but we are different and they have a tendency to leave me out of things. As of now, I consider my nieces and nephew and I try and maintain relationships with them.

My chosen family would probably be my boyfriend, a friend from TH and a few friend's in real life. I am more open and honest with them than any of my blood relatives except maybe my dad? I suppose I feel more accepted with my 'chosen' family than I do with my blood relatives.

Also, my cats...that's probably a really silly thing to say but one of my cats saved my life and did help me avoid certain things for quite some time. I'll always be grateful for her. And, I know my 'family' would not be the same without her and, now, the other cats we have.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 07:58 PM

Nice thread idea!

My family consists of my mum and brothers. In a way, I also include my dad. Even though he passed away in 2013, I often talk and say what dad might say or do.

I have someone who is like a second mother to me. And I have my friend from uni, and a friend from high school that I'm pretty close with. And TeenHelp friends too!

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
trash vegetable

I can't get enough

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 13th 2018, 10:16 PM

Love this thread!

To me, my family has only ever been chosen. It includes my mother, nephew, my cats, and some very close friends from here that I consider family at this point.

My mother and I have a strange relationship where I have sometimes had to be the parent, but she's the only one who has really stuck by me for nearly a decade of my mental illness.

For my nephew, my mother and I have helped raise him more than his father. To an extent, I'd also honestly say his mother too because at one point in time he'd spend three days out of the week with us. He still stays with us about two or three days out of the week, but rarely three anymore. Which, I honestly think has been for the better. My brother is the kind of person who tells him that it's not okay to show emotion and his mother is toxic in her own ways, albeit more understanding and aware of mental illness. We're not perfect either, but I guess I feel like we've been the best influence on him out of everyone else in his life. He's such a loving and kind little human so far and I hope that never changes.

I agree with Jenna on cats being family and I don't think it's silly at all. I rescued my cat when he wasn't quite four weeks old (he's five tomorrow ) and the reason I got him was because a therapist had said it could help. It helped a great deal and around that time was the last time I had attempted to end my life. He's turned into the most loveable and cuddly pile of fluff since I rescued him, but I honestly thought he'd always be an -insert curse- his entire life because of how he was as a juvenile. So, I'm glad that changed. I'm never sure if I should consider my other 'cat' really a cat or a dog. Either way, he's loveable and stupid and cute, so it works and he's family.

As for my friends on here? They're the best, worst, most loving, supportive, and rude people all at the same time and I wouldn't have it any different.

My life wouldn't be what it is right now without my family.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

private message me

Last edited by arepo; February 14th 2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: #typos

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Meraki Offline
Not a n00b
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lilah

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 14th 2018, 06:02 AM

Ok my mom is really nice, pretty chill. I can talk to her about some things but get shy about others. She has curly blonde hair and green eyes.
I'm basically Daddy's little girl, he likes to take me places and buy me things. I love him but there are some things I obviously can't talk to him about, because he's a guy. :P he has brown hair and blue eyes.
I'm 11. I'm on the honor roll, artistic, creative, but weird. I get really upset about little things, and I sometimes play with Barbies. I have wavy blonde-brown/dark blonde/dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. Oh yeah, and sometimes I dye my hair light pink.
My sister, Abigail is 9 and she is 2 inches taller than me. She is really kind and funny, but can be rude when she's even a little upset. She's getting better though. She has curly brown hair and green eyes.
My 5 year old brother, Joseph is such a sweet, great kid. Sure, he can get annoying, but what kindergarten kid doesn't? He likes to play with his little people toys. He has brown hair and blue eyes.
Ok, my 3 year old brother Ty. I love him to pieces. He is sooo cute. My big-sister-guard-dog instincts kick in with all my siblings, but ESPECIALLY with him. He has blonde hair and blue eyes.
Ok now for my chosen sister!
My friend Lizzie is only 2 days older than me. She is funny, kind, and my oldest friend. Well, not my oldest oldest friend. She's 11, just like me. I mean like I've known her the longest. Our moms are best friends, and met when they were pregnant. They read the same pregnancy books, picked out our names together, everything. She has long dark brown hair and eyes.
And yeah.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SkyFall Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: W

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 15th 2018, 11:16 AM

I have my dad - we aren't very close but we talk every now and then.

My boyfriend who I've lived with for the past 7 years.

& my nana who isn't my nana but a person that looked after me when my mum left me and my dad.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 19th 2018, 08:58 AM

There are these two people who are best friends online that I know, who are super similar in personality and often remark as to how they're like twins. They often find me funny and the first one of them I met helped me through some really temporarily rough shit when I was venting while everybody else was busy doing their own thing. I find them to be like endearing siblings of mine, even though I've never met them and I always find myself feeling happy whenever I talk to them.

That's about it. I'd put my mum and bro in there if I felt that I could be 100% open with them, but I don't and they screw with me about as much as any of my irl "friends" do at school. So, no matter how much they have done for me up to this point and even though I had nobody else before I had them, I still feel that they do not fit this category. Hopefully, one day, they will.

My biological family is small because we cut off from our relatives, so naturally my selection is equally small. I do not mind though. It has taught me something that rarely anybody else is able to learn. How to psychologically and emotionally live without anyone else around to guide you every step of the way.

"I'm not making any plans. I'm just going to let the universe surprise me."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Connor_D Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 20th 2018, 02:46 PM

My mom and my grans. I have a father...but he doesn't want to be involved in my life. So yeah, just mom and grans.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Who makes up your Family? - February 23rd 2018, 02:06 PM

My mum, dad and two younger sisters. I also have my best friend who I consider my other sister.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

Closed Thread