TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

So I'm gonna buy my own phone but... - May 10th 2018, 04:07 PM

So yes, my phone is taken up, but my parents told me that I can get a job and buy my own phone and pay for it, which is what I'm gonna do.

But thing is, they told me they would still have complete control over my phone. Can they do that? I know they are my guardians and they have the right to give me rules, but I feel that since I'll pay for my own phone with my own money that I can keep what I want on the phone. My last phone was in my parents name and line, so I couldn't have safari, any apps besides games, and had a limit to who I can text. But the next one will be mine. One probation officer told me that sneaking my phone that my parents took up is considered theft, so if I get my own phone, if my parents took it up, would that be considered theft?

I just think that my parents should leave my phone alone that I will pay for completely with my own money. What are your thoughts? I just wanna know if my thought process is right or not.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: So I'm gonna buy my own phone but... - May 10th 2018, 07:42 PM

personally i would say your thought process is right, but legally it isn't. as long as you're a minor your parents have the right to control what you have and don't get to have. legally, i think it's something about the parents being responsible for the child, therefore everything belonging to the child technically belongs to the parents.

i do know where you're coming from though and i think it's pretty ridiculous that they want to control the things you do on a phone that you would buy. it's a tricky situation. when i was younger and in that situation, i just sneaked everything. i even ended up downloading a "phone" onto my computer so i could still use the apps they didn't want me to use. but that builds a barrier between you and your parents, and for me it continued into adulthood. i can't even open up to them about little things, because so much of my life was spent trying to hide everything from them.

i'd suggest for you to just remember that your parents are in charge of you and just want what's best. maybe if you respect their decisions here, they'll eventually see that you're mature enough to handle some things on your own. that'll build trust and eventually, even though the wait will be long and boring, eventually you'll be able to live the way you want.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread