TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Family constantly leaving me out. - August 12th 2018, 03:09 PM

[SIZE="a"]I have been left out of things with my family for years.

I used to ask them about it when it would happen and I would get told "Oh it was a couples thing". I didn't have a partner so, of course I couldn't go. Now, I have a partner and they still leave us out. Their excuse now is "Oh it's a parent's night". I don't have a kid and when I do there will be some excuse.

I am constantly hurt by this even though it comes as no surprise when it happens. My boyfriend gets pissed because he sees the way it hurts me. Last night he told me that it was probably going to keep happening. Mind you, he's known me for three and a half years and this has been happening. Before meeting him it was happening.

Last night it happened too, they all got together, even my dad went, and I got no invite.

So, I've decided I need to distance myself from my family. I don't know how to do this as I still live with my dad and he has people over. However, I need to figure something out.

How is the best way to, essentially, distance myself. I've already tried talking to them about this, multiple times, to no avail. My therapist has told me distancing myself might be best because of the impact my family has on my mental health.

That being said, I still live with my dad so there are times when distancing myself is hard. We have the holidays coming up shortly and this is my biggest concern. My dad has Thanksgiving at our house and Christmas is always up in the air. Since I am working I can't really go out of town for the holidays and in town a lot of stuff is closed. We could, maybe, catch a few movies but I am not sure.

Maybe this post sounds childish but after years of being left out and excluded I am at the point where I need to do this for me. I don't think my family will ever have epiphanies and start changing the way they act but I do want to stop being hurt by this and the best thing I can do is distance myself.

I know a few years ago there was something that happened that made me want to distance myself and I didn't because I wanted to support a family member. This year I don't really care so I need to figure things out to the best of my ability. For the holidays but also on a more long term basis.

Sometime next year I should be moving out so distancing myself will be easier.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eviewiseman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Family constantly leaving me out. - August 16th 2018, 12:51 PM

Yeah it will be easier=)

Closed Thread