TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

My friend owes me money - November 30th 2018, 10:23 AM

My friend owes me money because we went half on a hotel for a night out.
He said he would pay me by transferring it to my bank account but his bank wont let him do it so he said when he next sees me he will give it to me.

I don't want to be rubbish friend but the hotel room did cost me 100 pound and he promised to go half on it with me as we stayed in the same room. I know he is currently moving house and I don't want to seem like a dickhead of a friend. I do not need the money right now but I do want it because it's only fair right? I can't afford to go spending a 100 pound on hotel rooms which is why he went half on it. I don't know how to handle this without seeming like a terrible friend because if I don't mention it he will most likely forget when I next see him and I do want it back but I don't want to seem like a dick head I love him a lot if it was 30 pound then I would probably let him off but it's nearly 50 pound which he owes me.

How should I handle it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: My friend owes me money - December 9th 2018, 01:51 PM

I'm wondering why your friend said that his back wouldn't let him transfer money to your account? Is it possible that he doesn't have enough money in his account? Whether he does eventually transfer money or give it to you in cash, you do have every right to get the money back. You're not being a terrible friend. If your friend couldn't afford it, then he should never have asked you to pay for the hotel room. If he can afford it, then he should pay you back.

If your friend is currently moving, then it may not be the best time to ask him. Perhaps wait a little while and maybe ask again after Christmas when he is more settled and isn't busy with the Christmas holidays. If you know when he gets paid, you can mention it just after as well. You can just talk about it like you have done here- say that you don't want to be an annoying friend, but you want to ask if he is the money that he owes you.

If you find he is always making excuses or doesn't give you the money back, then you may want to consider whether it is wise to give him more or pay for his share of things in future.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Poppy* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mackenzie

Re: My friend owes me money - December 9th 2018, 02:01 PM

Well you definitely deserve your half of the money back that is for sure. Right now I think all you can do is give him the benefit of the doubt that he will come through and pay you the 50 pounds back in cash like he says he will in a short period of time after he makes his move complete. If after that is done and he keeps putting it off then you need to confront him and say I need my money now and don't worry about putting pressure on him. It is only fair to you and that you get your money back.

Are you insane like me?
Been in pain like me?
Bought a 100 dollar bottle of champagne like me?
Just to pour that motherfucker down the drain like me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophie77 Offline
Sophie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sophie

Re: My friend owes me money - December 14th 2018, 10:47 AM

Just forget about this money. The next time you find yourself in the same situation, do not agree to pay for it. Remind about the last case.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My friend owes me money - December 15th 2018, 11:52 PM

I think you could handle this by letting your friend know that you don't want to be a hassle, but that you definitely need to be paid back. Let him know you understand he's busy due to experiencing a move so you don't mind waiting a few weeks but that you need to be paid back by the end of January (or whenever you feel is reasonable) due to having expenses that you need to cover and that you'll be short if he doesn't pay you back due to your budget or some such shit, I mean, phrase it however, you want though...

I feel like it's totally reasonable to say A) you need to be repaid the money B) set a deadline and express that you need the money because you have expenses to cover and 50 pounds is a significant sum in your budget, whether that's a mental or literal one and then C) make plans, suggest that he can try transferring from his account again, or make plans to spend time together and let him know you will remind him a day or 2 before hand so that he won't forget to withdraw money AND also make sure you go to a place where there will be ATM's just in case he forgets. Make sure you make plans well prior to the deadline so that if he doesn't follow through you can implement D) which is to basically tell him that you were pretty clear about why you needed to be repaid and that it's disappointing that he doesn't seem respectful of the favour you did and that you need the mnoey etc.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My friend owes me money - December 17th 2018, 01:59 AM

Hey there,

There is nothing wrong with asking your friend for the money. I know it's a really uncomfortable situation to be but he said he would pay you so it's okay for you to mention to him that you need the money. If he is busy or if he is lacking on funds you could suggest that he pay you in installments. Sometimes coming up with 100 can be difficult so if you told him you'd be willing to work up some type of payment plan that might help.

One things I'll say is it's always best to not loan friend's or family money and expect it back. I've known plenty of people who have loaned out money thinking they would get it back and they never did. Those situations actually led to issues with family and has led to one person losing their friend.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FireKO Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My friend owes me money - January 1st 2019, 08:21 PM

I think that you should talk to your friend and tell him that he is wrong.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LOptyre Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My friend owes me money - January 30th 2019, 05:14 AM

Yes, this is a very unpleasant situation and it is better to try not to borrow money to friends, then there will be no disputes. Personally, I am quite an independent person and solve my financial difficulties with the help of the site https://fastpaydayloanstore.com/get-...day-loans.html. I think that it will be useful to everyone who needs urgent money and can not find a solution.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: My friend owes me money - February 3rd 2019, 06:01 PM

Closed upon OP request.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
Closed Thread