TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
westbrook Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Alcoholic/Pothead Mom. - June 18th 2009, 07:44 AM

Hello there.

My mother and I have never gotten along. She basically left me to my own devices as soon as I was old enough to feed myself. My dad and I are close, but he works so much, I don't see him a whole lot. My mother is verbally and emotionally abusive in every possible way. She used to knock me around until I got old enough that she knew I would hit her back. She's an alcoholic, though it's never been addressed in our family. She also smokes a ridiculous amount of weed.

In one day, my mother will have:

Two coffees with Bailey's Irish Cream (at around 7:30AM)
A Ceasar that's half vodka (around 9:30 or 10:00 AM)
Six to Seven Black Russians, straight Vodka and Kahlua (12:00PM to 6:00PM)
Three beers with dinner (6:00 - 7:00 PM)
And two more Black Russians before she goes to bed. (7:00 PM to 9:00 PM)

This is all between about six or seven joints a day.

I'm actually considering calling the police next time I catch her smoking up. This is not an environment I want to live in. It's infuriating, upsetting and highly embarassing when my friends or family come over and she's stumbling around drunk and reeking of pot. Moving out is not an option for me right now, financially.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Would the police be able to do anything? I know where she keeps her pot, I just don't know if they'd be legally allowed to go find it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
live.laugh.love
Regular TeenHelper

Name: cassieee.

Re: Alcoholic/Pothead Mom. - June 18th 2009, 05:14 PM

Hey,

I'm sorry about how you're mom is acting that must be totally hard. You said your close with your dad? Have you tried talking to him about it? Maybe he has some solutions as well. You guys are close so I doubt he would want your mom emotionally/verbally abusing you!

Have you ever tried to talk to your mom when she wasn't drunk/high about her lifestyle is affecting you and the family. Tell her how unhealthy it is and how you think that she should seek help.

I don't know about the cops sititutation. I'm pretty sure you could call them and tell them that your mom has week in the house and they could come in and search if they had a warrent. Talk to your dad and see if that is a good option. I understand why you would want to not live like that and maybe that would be a wake up call to her.

Best of Luck.

when life is in discord; praise ye the Lord

keep your faith alive.
we're not alone <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Alcoholic/Pothead Mom. - June 18th 2009, 11:13 PM

Hey,

Sorry this is all going on. I would suggest talking to your dad and explain to him how it all makes you feel. Tell him that you would consider moving out but financially it is not an option and ask him if he has any idea what to do.

I don't know about the police either. I mean they could probably do something but depending on the amount of pot and what not it might not be that much. Also, would you really want to be the reason your mom got in trouble? I mean, you are angry with her right now but tomorrow or in an hour that might change to feeling sorry for her and you might not want to see her in trouble with the cop, you know what I mean?

However, I do understand where you are coming from, my mom sounds a lot like yours(she checked out of my life quite early on too). And I don't like her at all either.

Anyway, talk to your dad and go from there.

Hope this helped and if you need someone to talk to feel free to pm or aim me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread