TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ridiculousness Offline
Average Joe

Anyone else have to deal with siblings like this? - June 19th 2009, 09:35 AM

Didn't think I'd ever write about this, but I have to know if someone else has to go through this.

I have a younger sister with ODD, or something similar. We're not sure. it seems she's always angry, and being home makes me miserable now. :\ She's actually admitted to trying to piss people off as much as possible, and I can't say anything back or she actually starts a physical fight. Hell, I DETEST fighting, but it's humiliating that my baby sister does this to everyone in the house, embarrasses me in front of her/my friends, has NO respect for my privacy or possessions (she's gone low as to destroy my art.) humiliates me, shit talks me with HER friend in my own home, and puts me down for my own decisions. She's out of control and she's bound to turn to harder drugs...I just can't deal with her ups and downs anymore. This house makes me ILL. Ill desperately find a way to get out all day, and get home late at night. :\ My mom doesn't do much either...but she'll come to me to vent about her and ask what she's done wrong. it hurts so much.

But the weird thing IS; the next day, she'll have a good day, and want to spill her guts to me. When she's in a stabilized mood, I'm the one she trusts most (it seems) and is nice to talk to...
Me, My mom and Sister are sooo close, like best friends when she's in a good mood. But the littlest things will set her off into a frenzy.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? How'd you get through it? How can you get help before it's too late..?

Help my little eggiweggs! =D Prease?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Anyone else have to deal with siblings like this? - June 19th 2009, 10:21 PM

Hi Emilie,

I can't say I've been in exactly the same situation, but I do have experience with an annoying little sister (well, mostly annoying, she has her good days too). The important thing is to ignore her when she does things like that. Don't give her anything to go off of.

If she doesn't have respect for your privacy, then make sure your things are kept private. Put your art where she can't get to it, or frame it so then it is not easily accessible. Since your mom realizes how bad your sister is, maybe she could agree to letting you put a lock on your bedroom door? That would definitely keep her out.

I think that in this case, your parents really need to get involved. Let them know that this is not appropriate and that they should do something about her behaviour before it gets even worse. They should be putting a stop to what she's doing. They are the parents and it's their job. They should especially lay down the rules about how she is acting and what she is saying around her friends.

It may be a good idea to suggest to your parents that your sister see a doctor or get her checked out by a therapist to find out if there is anything wrong. Her behaviour may be the result of a condition.

Take care and do your best to ignore her. The most important thing is that you are proud of your decisions and your work. Don't bother listening to your sister- it's not worth it.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ridiculousness Offline
Average Joe

Re: Anyone else have to deal with siblings like this? - June 20th 2009, 12:39 AM

thanks for your reply! I'll try to ignore the erratic behaviour...but sometimes I can't help but lose it and that can't be healthy for either us.

Yeah she used to be in solo therapy but refuses to talk to the person.
I brought it up to my mom, we've decided a group family therapist would help us out more as a family and maybe gain some trust in her, so we'll be trying that soon. So I'll keep my optimism! lol

Help my little eggiweggs! =D Prease?

Closed Thread