TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Exclamation Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - June 30th 2009, 10:36 PM

So I work at a christian camp and so does my friend. We both used to smoke, but I quite about a month ago, and she didn't quit. She's having a really hard time, and is having a cousin of hers send a care package with some packs of cigarettes in it. The problem is, that's a big no-no in our camps rules. first, she's underage (16), and second, no one is allowed to smoke on camp property. I'm pretty sure that that's something I would have to report as a mandatory thing (am I a mandatory reporter at all???), but I know that if I do, she'll hate me forever, and she's one of my best friends. What should I do????

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 12:32 AM

I wouldn't tell on her, just tell her that if you ever see her smoking you will tell, and I think smoking in the middle of the woods is dangerous...
Not a good idea.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 12:34 AM

no.. no one likes a snitch.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 12:35 AM

If her, I wouldn't have taken the job. I'm assuming you'd she get fired if they found her.

I've been to over five Christian camps, and If they're anything like the camps I've been to. You'd be in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
no.. no one likes a snitch.

Well no one likes a rule-breaker either.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Algernon; July 1st 2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 12:37 AM

hey i know that you feel strongly that it should be reported and it's important to follow rules. but is there a way that you can talk to your friend first? make some compromise with her and tell her perhaps to smoke only outside the compound and you won't tell. it could make it more inconvenient to smoke and she'd might even stop smoking a lot. pray for her, and do let her know that what you're doing for her is out of love and not coz you're a stickler for the rules. smoking is hard to quit, and you managed to do it! do share with her about how you did it, and know that everyone takes more time than others to quit smoking.
well just think about your options. will it really help her if you report it? but honestly, if she can't come to a compromise and it affects other people at the camp, i guess you'd have to ask her to leave and come back when she'd quit?
Godspeed hun. (:

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
If her, I wouldn't have taken the job. I'm assuming you'd she get fired if they found her.

I've been to over five Christian camps, and If they're anything like the camps I've been to. You'd be in trouble.

Well no one likes a rule-breaker either.
yeah but come on.. snitching on your best friend when you know it'll get her in shit.. thats just a big no-no.

also.. its hardly a terrible crime! sure, she broke the rules, but really.. she could have done something a lot worse. just let it slide and if you have to, tell her that she probably shouldn't do it again.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
yeah but come on.. snitching on your best friend when you know it'll get her in shit.. thats just a big no-no.

also.. its hardly a terrible crime! sure, she broke the rules, but really.. she could have done something a lot worse. just let it slide and if you have to, tell her that she probably shouldn't do it again.

Have you ever been to Christian camp? There, it's a real doosy "crime." She really shouldn't have taken the job knowing that she's not allowed to smoke. And she's underage as well. I'd be kind of upset at my friend. I'd take her aside and tell her how I felt. I'd tell her to quit while she has the job.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 01:21 AM

yes i have actually.. and it put me off religion for life.. but thats another story.

i really don't see the big deal about breaking the rules. jeez, living by every rule set it just boring. i say do what you want and hope you get away with it..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
yes i have actually.. and it put me off religion for life.. but thats another story.

i really don't see the big deal about breaking the rules. jeez, living by every rule set it just boring. i say do what you want and hope you get away with it..
I've probably been to five or more, and It's helped my belief

But hey, she needs to set a good example for the "Christians" since she gets paid to set a good example.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hear my whispers in the dark..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 02:27 AM

I agree with Holly. If she's working there, she needs to follow the rules. She accepted the job, which means they are trusting her to do her job and be a good role model.
If you see her smoking on grounds, you could maybe write an anonymous note to your boss saying that she is smoking where she can be seen. She wouldn't have to know that you saw her, just that someone saw her.
I think it would be okay if she went off grounds to smoke though, if she's going to do it.

Life isn't about worrying,
That's a waste of time.
And life isn't about being perfect,
It will never happen.
Life is about finding yourself,
And finding people who accept that person.

My PM box is always open!
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 1st 2009, 09:40 PM

If someone else catches her, and it comes to light that you knew about it and didn't inform anyone, will your job be at risk? Something to think about - if that's the case, you shouldn't allow her rule breaking to get you into trouble.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 2nd 2009, 05:58 PM

Hi there,

I think you need to have a good talk with your friend and tell her to read over the rules. Let her know that she is not allowed to smoke at camp, and although you do realize that she is having a tough time not being able to smoke, you would have to report her if you saw her doing it.

Since this is a job, your friend's job is depending on her following the rules. Let her know that this may not be the best job to continue if she is worried about not being able to smoke.

I think it would be very responsible of you to warn your friend about this before she lands in trouble. Give her a heads up and let her know that she can't smoke, no matter how bad her urges are.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 2nd 2009, 10:41 PM

So I told her that I wasn't sure if I had to report it, but if I had to I would, and she said she'd be pissed, but she understood the legal obligation that I may be finding myself in.

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#14 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 4th 2009, 08:26 AM

Hey there,

I think you handled the situation wonderfully and I am glad your friend was pretty understanding. That seemed to have worked out okay.

Good luck!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Smoking @ a Christian Camp... tell??? - July 4th 2009, 09:01 AM

I'd probably just tell her you don't want to hear about it/see it. And if you do you'll report it and that's the best you can do.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread