TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
newguy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

breaking up with friends - July 2nd 2009, 12:18 AM

Is it ok to stop hangin around with friends just because you dont want to? Like, i was friends with a few guys for about 3/4 years, but about a yearish ago i started to feel liek i didnt like doingwhat they did all the time, and i got this feeling more and mroe until i was lying to avoid seeing them. They do the same stuff they did when they wer 15 which is just drink and mess around. I dont even like the tpe of music they liek anymore, it isnt that they have done anythgin i just dont wanna be around them.

I thought when i went to uni it would just fade away but after a year of uni they still text me and stuff, even thoughive had a big debate online with them about how i want out.

I dont know if ive been the bad guy here or not as they havent doe anythgin wrong but i just wish it didnt feel so horrible, they dont deserve to be treated like this but they just wont let it go.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
larisa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: larisa

Re: breaking up with friends - July 2nd 2009, 01:23 AM

I really like what you said
you make it so easy, i usually have to do what they do even though i don't want to, THANKS, your not being mean your just tell it how it is suppose to be, what you want, so it's nothing bad or messed up, your life,
always love to be nice..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: breaking up with friends - July 2nd 2009, 06:04 PM

To answer your question- yes, it is okay to stop hanging out with friends just because you don't want to. If they like doing things you don't like to do, then you don't need to hang out with them. It is fair that you want to move on right now and you don't like the things they like anymore.

I suggest you politely turn them down and let them know you aren't interested. Start hanging out with people with similar interests as yours. They will get the point after a little while.

People do move on, and sometimes that means hanging out with other people and breaking friendships. This does not make you a bad guy. Your old friends may be hurt at first, but it's not fair that you should hang out with them just because you did years ago.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread