TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Unhappy imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 08:50 PM

How old is too old for imaginary friends?

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't say there is an age. If you want imaginary friends then go for it. Although others may disagree.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 09:09 PM

Figure out when you are going to die. A few seconds after that.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 09:21 PM

When you reach an age of maturity. I believe, that mature people don't need imaginary friends.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 10:32 PM

10 maybe??

(#6 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 10:37 PM

I guess it depends on each individual. If you want imaginary friends then go for it, no one has the right to criticise you for something so personal to you. I guess if having imaginary friends makes you happier than i don't see why you should try to "stop" having them around.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 10:46 PM

As long as you want. There is no reason not to...

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: imaginary friends. - July 3rd 2009, 11:22 PM

Hi Kayla,

As long as having imaginary friends does not stop you from socializing with people and having real friends as well, then you can have imaginary friends as long as you like. Some people may think it is a little strange, but really it is up to you and what you like.

Socializing with other people is still important, so keep that in mind. Imaginary friends are not harmful unless they keep you from others.

Take care.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi Kayla,

As long as having imaginary friends does not stop you from socializing with people and having real friends as well, then you can have imaginary friends as long as you like. Some people may think it is a little strange, but really it is up to you and what you like.

Socializing with other people is still important, so keep that in mind. Imaginary friends are not harmful unless they keep you from others.

Take care.

Nat.
Is it really? If your ultimate goal is to be happy, and having imaginary friends makes you the happiest you can be, why not do it?

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 03:23 AM

When you reach the age of reason which is 7.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 03:51 AM

So, I had some guy message me about me being a hypocrite because I believe in God?

I don't ride my bike and pretend there's a person that I made up riding beside me. I don't think It's mentally healthy to have imaginary friends past the age of childhood. Can any of you honestly tell me that If you were a junior in high school, and you had a friend that talked to an "imaginary" person, you would think they were 100% okay.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
So, I had some guy message me about me being a hypocrite because I believe in God?

I don't ride my bike and pretend there's a person that I made up riding beside me. I don't think It's mentally healthy to have imaginary friends past the age of childhood. Can any of you honestly tell me that If you were a junior in high school, and you had a friend that talked to an "imaginary" person, you would think they were 100% okay.
Is being mentally unhealthy a bad thing if you aren't harming other people and are genuinely happy? I wouldn't think it's normal, but I wouldn't force them to give up their 'friends'.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 04:38 AM

I had an imaginary friend when I was like ten or eleven, but only because my older sister, and even older best friend had one. So, I say it's honestly up to you. If you want an imaginary friend, go for it. Just don't let having one keep you from enjoying life.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Is being mentally unhealthy a bad thing if you aren't harming other people and are genuinely happy? I wouldn't think it's normal, but I wouldn't force them to give up their 'friends'.
Yes, It's not good for the mentally unhealthy person. I don't think anyone wants to be mentally ill, unless they are mentally ill There are mental hospitals that help people that don't harm people, but they are harming themselves.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 07:04 AM

There's not a damn thing wrong with having imaginary friends. If someone can believe in God, someone else can have kick ass friends that are spawned from your mind. Ignore the uncreative people.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#16 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 07:21 AM

I really don't know I mean if you go around talking to some imaginary person in public that probably isn't the best idea but if you keep it out of public eye I guess it's not that bad.

I also agree that it shouldn't get in the way of you socializing with real people because imaginary friends could be a defense mechanism; a way of avoiding people and never really meeting people which isn't a good thing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Jessielove Offline
Happily In Love. <3
Average Joe

Name: Jessie

Re: imaginary friends. - July 4th 2009, 07:32 AM

If people can talk to themselves, why can't you have someone to talk with? There is no age limit, it's your life. I mean, sometimes you get lonely and need someone to talk to or just are bored. Whatever makes you happy. Don't listen to people who say it's weird, everyone has something that classifies them as being "weird." or whatever.

When you fall, don't always expect someone to pick you up. Do it yourself, you're stronger then you think. Brush yourself off and keep your head high.

"She loves me, she loves me not, despite the fact I smell like pot, I write this poem to you Jessie, are you my lady love to be?" -
sphynx

Send a message via AIM to Jessielove Send a message via Skype™ to Jessielove 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Amélie Offline
formerly rainbowblood
Not a n00b

Name: Emy

Re: imaginary friends. - July 7th 2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi Kayla,

Take care.

Nat.
Is it really? If your ultimate goal is to be happy, and having imaginary friends makes you the happiest you can be, why not do it?

I agree with strider. They are fine, and more people than you would expect actually have them...
I do, kind of. I dont think of them as imaginary friends though.. its more of a world that I escape too. Which is why I agree with strider, imaginary friends are fine if you dont let them get in the way of your life. I some times do..
And I have to disagree with you double x, usually (*usually when people have imaginary worlds or friends its because they are unhappy about something in their life or are bored with their life and they want to escape. So, although they make you happy at the time, it can make your life a lot worse in the long run and you can end up unhappier.. and then it becomes a cycle.. I can say that from experience... but like I said, thats only if you let them get in the way of your real life.

"Farewells can be shattering, but returns are surely worse. Solid flesh can never live up to the bright shadow cast by its absense."
-Margaret Atwood

(#19 (permalink)) Old
cassie.x Offline
Last of the english roses.
Average Joe

Name: cassie

Re: imaginary friends. - July 9th 2009, 07:03 PM

There's a diffrence between being creative and talking to people that don't exsist when your'e an adult...
I mean, as long as it doesn't harm anyone idc.
But no, i don't think it's the heathiest thing in the world.

But does that make you mentally ill?
Because you know it's Imaginary..you know it's not real.
So your'e not crazy? You'd be crazy if you beleived it was actually real?
Idk anything about this, so don't hate... was just a thought!

Quote:

Pretty much.
x

(#20 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: imaginary friends. - July 11th 2009, 07:09 AM

I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that I'd have an imaginary friend past about 10 or so, but i'm all for using ones imagination to it's full extent so long as it doesn't interfere with your social life, so in the end I guess I'd have nothing against those who do.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

Closed Thread