TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tori

Imposing on my friends - August 2nd 2009, 11:26 PM

Okay, so I have two very good friends, but they're older than I am. And when I try to make plans with them, if I'm the one spear-heading them, I feel really weird, like I'm imposing on them and being too pushy. But I want to be able to hang out with my friends! Any ideas here?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
samaritan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alli

Re: Imposing on my friends - August 2nd 2009, 11:33 PM

well I used to feel this way alot with my older cousin. a couple of good ways to handle it are, saying "hey give me a call and mabye we can get together this weekend" or just being completly straightforward and asking if they really wanna hang ou tor if they're just doing so out of obligation.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
  Send a message via AIM to samaritan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Imposing on my friends - August 3rd 2009, 01:34 AM

Hi Tori,

I know you are concerned about imposing on your friends, but I wouldn't worry about it to much. They are your friends and they do still like hanging out with you, so it shouldn't matter if you are the one organizing the get together. Maybe they even like it when you plan for all of you to hang out.

If you really can't shake the feeling that you are imposing, then maybe try to make plans with your friends instead of just inviting them somewhere. Ask them where they would like to go and get their help in calling other people to come. If you are all planning together, then it wont feel like you are forcing people to come.

Try to keep an open communication with your friends. That way, if they have a problem with you making plans, they will say something about it. As it is right now, just do your best not to worry and keep hanging out with your friends because it doesn't seem like they have a problem.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Imposing on my friends - August 3rd 2009, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the advice guys

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LaCorrsa Offline
HP
Not a n00b

Name: Josh

Re: Imposing on my friends - August 3rd 2009, 02:13 AM

Yeah i used to feel this way about my friends with cars, i used to feel like i was imposing on them just because they could take me places, i would feel so awlful that i would force them to take gas money, but finally that changed when the cornered me and told me that i was there friend and undrstood my busy schedual, they said that they were happy to do it because it was few far inbetween when i could see them without having to be somewhere for someone, so they liked being a part of my busy life. but what im getting at is you should talk to them about it. get all card on the table and see what they are feeling.

"A Sapling will bend, but over time, it becomes a mighty oak, with roots stretching far and wide. One tree can father a forest, but it is up to that tree to take root."- Hecate
  Send a message via MSN to LaCorrsa Send a message via Yahoo to LaCorrsa  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Imposing on my friends - August 3rd 2009, 02:24 AM

Thanks guys I just talked to one of them about it and am feeling a little better about it all, though the feeling still won't completely go away.

Closed Thread