TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Apollo34 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paul (Apollo)

Angry Split Families Suck - August 4th 2009, 07:10 AM

Okay, so I'm 18, and I can hold my own. I can take alot of crap, and I can hand out my fair share. But this, this just sucks.

I'll try and make this short haha. I live with my biological dad and my step mom. My dad, is against change in anything. From hair to clothes to music to decoration. He's a real stand up guy, but he's a traditionalist. I want to try something different like say, buy my own car. He's against having insurance. He thinks debt is un-biblical. Yup, I come from a Christian home. It gossips more then most homes. I hate it. I'm always wearing headphones so I don't have to listen to any of my family's garbage. My step mom, thinks she knows everything. Owns the world, owns me, and thinks that everyone should pretty much kiss her feet. For my little brother (her son) it's so easy to please her. He does nothing, yep, nothing. She says, and I quote, "How can you get mad at someone who does nothing?" Now wait a minute. How does that go with yelling at me for being lazy? She yells at me for everything that goes wrong. It's a pretty good self-esteem killer. I'm having trouble dealing with her. I give her all the respect she wants, is she simply someone who cannot be pleased with me? Or proud of anything I do? I get yelled at to do something pretty much everyday after I come home from work. My brother, who's 14, doesn't work. AND can do everything I can as far as chores. But he does NOTHING. Ugh, anyways, any advice? I've tried sitting down and just talking to her, come to freaking Jesus moments out the wazoo. I don't know what else to do. Anyone know how to deal with ridiculous parents? Thanks in advance..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Friendly Neighborhood Nerd
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Split Families Suck - August 4th 2009, 11:05 PM

Hey Paul.

First of all, yeah split families do suck. It sounds like your step mom is being unreasonable, and if she hasn't realized it by now I don't think she ever will. And to answer your question, I don't think she will ever be pleased with you (which is her problem.)

Have you graduated school yet? If so, is it possible for you to get your own place, or move in with a friend or another family member? Since you're eighteen, you don't legally need your parents' approval to do anything.

For the time being, don't let your ridiculous parents mess with you. From the sounds of it, you're doing what you should be doing-- you have a job, you're doing chores, and you're being respectful. It's not your stepmother's place to label you or tell you who you should be, especially since she hasn't been fair to you in the first place.

Keep your head up. Private Message me anytime.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Apollo34 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paul (Apollo)

Re: Split Families Suck - August 4th 2009, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I've graduated. But my parents wouldn't take me to get my permit so since I turned 18 I got it without them. All I need is a car and a license and I'm pretty much gone. And thanks, I'm doin my best =S

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Friendly Neighborhood Nerd
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Split Families Suck - August 5th 2009, 12:36 AM

It's good to hear that you're making plans to leave! (It helps with the whole staying sane thing.) Take care-- you'll get through this and you'll be on your own in no time.

Closed Thread