TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Dont have many friends..... - August 4th 2009, 05:59 PM

So I listen to showtunes and only showtunes....so does my best friend. We blast them and sing to them in the car and apparently, that's considered embarrassing. I know people who are even just embarrassed by listening to the music itself. (I LOVE showtunes! I dont know why most people dont like broadway musicals....those are people with SO much talent...years of voice lessons and dance lessons....I just dont get it) and us loving musicals scare people off....I hate rap, I hate R&B, I hate country and I hate alternative....I like pop and the dresden dolls, oldies, billy joel, etc. but I have NONE of that stuff in my CD collection....NONE of those CDs...not even mix CDs....I'm just tired of not having friends and not having anything to do on a Friday night and not getting invited out to go somewhere. I just wish I had more musical theater fanatic friends like me and my best friend =(

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Friendly Neighborhood Nerd
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 4th 2009, 11:35 PM

It's really cool that you have a friend that shares your taste in music. I'm surprised that you don't know more people who are into show tunes...with High School Musical and everything a lot of kids are getting into that kind of thing. (Not saying High School Musical is a good example of people with years of music and dance experience, but you know what I mean.)

Other people may be wrong to write off show tunes, but you're just as wrong to write off country, alternative, rap, and R&B. To me, it seems that you want other people to be open-minded, but you're not being open-minded.

Maybe get involved in a community theater...there are bound to be musical theater fanatics there. Until then, my advice is to be open to new people. You don't have to pigeonhole yourself into one genre of music, and you don't have to limit yourself to only hanging out with people who listen to that genre of music.

Sorry if that came off as a little harsh. XP

Last edited by Scribbles; August 5th 2009 at 03:19 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 5th 2009, 08:36 PM

It wasn't. I like certain types of R&B but most of it, I just cant stand. To me, its like blasting screamo in the car with your windows rolled up and your grandparents are sitting in the front seat LOL!!!! That would be an interesting experience.

I listen to some modern stuff but most of it, I find just plain annoying. I mean, its just what I do ya know? I would really rather not change who I am just to be friends with other people. But like for instance, I wanna go on broadway or do something with musical theater and nobody else even understands that. What really pisses me off is that when they see my best friend (Mischa) doing ballet, they make fun of him. They call him gay for doing it and they dont realize how difficult it is to do point in regular ballet shoes. Let alone, Mischa's a guy, he's not even supposed to be doing point. This is why I wanna be friends with people who are musical theater freaks because they understand where we are coming from when it comes to talking about dance and showtunes and how hard the theater is to get into....(Plus the more musical theater fanatics we become friends with, the more likely we'll have better connections for an audition) I mean, when it comes to those who are not the biggest showtune fans, they have no idea about how hard it is to reach those notes or how many toenails break off from dancing on point or that almost every guy in the theater IS NOT gay actually, they are married to each other. I just hate it when people jump to conclusions about musical theater and think nothing of it so its hard for me NOT to be closed-minded when it comes to things such as R&B or rap. I dont judge it before listening to it though. I listen to Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Pink, Alecia Keys, The All-American Rejects, Green Day, I listen to a lot of other things but showtunes is my primary genre that I listen to....when my sister rides with us to go out somewhere, my sister says, "No wonder why you guys dont have any friends" and we ask, "Why?" and she says, "You guys are f-cking freaks! Thats why! Blasting musicals...." and we say, "Well if others can do it with rap, we can do it with musicals! We are the ones driving you to your dentists appointment cause you cant learn how to take care of your car so f-cking deal with it!" and we turn the music back up. We would never do that if we had a friend in the car though....

You see where I'm coming from? When we become friends with those who aren't big showtune fans, they make fun of Mischa for being a drag queen and for being gay and for dancing on point and/or ballet....they just stare and point and laugh. They make jokes. Does he care? No but just because he doesnt care doesnt mean we are gonna try and make friends with those people....

For once, we want to be like Paris Hilton and her BFF...we want others to join our little bubble that we have going when it comes to musical theater. For once, it would be nice to be "the popular crowd" in school but since I'm not in school anymore, there'd be no point to it. The only way to become part of the musical theater crowd is to actually know musicals and have taken dance for years. Not many have because well....dance is expensive.

Sorry for the rant but now you understand why we wanna be friends with people who are musical theater freaks? They just understand us better

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 6th 2009, 12:41 AM

omg all i listen to is musicals (and i'm a goth ) ! despite my friends hatered of them that doesn't stop me playing songs from the LOUDLY in public lol i also got a few of my straight guy friends to admit Chris Sieber is hot, ^^

Broadway junkie if your ever in need of some musical convos, pm me or just ask for my msn

I shall despair. There is no creature loves me;
And if I die, no soul will pity me:
Nay, wherefore should they, since that I myself
Find in myself no pity to myself?

Last edited by Mistress Galahad; August 6th 2009 at 12:58 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 6th 2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJunkie View Post
It wasn't. I like certain types of R&B but most of it, I just cant stand. To me, its like blasting screamo in the car with your windows rolled up and your grandparents are sitting in the front seat LOL!!!! That would be an interesting experience.

I listen to some modern stuff but most of it, I find just plain annoying. I mean, its just what I do ya know? I would really rather not change who I am just to be friends with other people. But like for instance, I wanna go on broadway or do something with musical theater and nobody else even understands that. What really pisses me off is that when they see my best friend (Mischa) doing ballet, they make fun of him. They call him gay for doing it and they dont realize how difficult it is to do point in regular ballet shoes. Let alone, Mischa's a guy, he's not even supposed to be doing point. This is why I wanna be friends with people who are musical theater freaks because they understand where we are coming from when it comes to talking about dance and showtunes and how hard the theater is to get into....(Plus the more musical theater fanatics we become friends with, the more likely we'll have better connections for an audition) I mean, when it comes to those who are not the biggest showtune fans, they have no idea about how hard it is to reach those notes or how many toenails break off from dancing on point or that almost every guy in the theater IS NOT gay actually, they are married to each other. I just hate it when people jump to conclusions about musical theater and think nothing of it so its hard for me NOT to be closed-minded when it comes to things such as R&B or rap. I dont judge it before listening to it though. I listen to Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Pink, Alecia Keys, The All-American Rejects, Green Day, I listen to a lot of other things but showtunes is my primary genre that I listen to....when my sister rides with us to go out somewhere, my sister says, "No wonder why you guys dont have any friends" and we ask, "Why?" and she says, "You guys are f-cking freaks! Thats why! Blasting musicals...." and we say, "Well if others can do it with rap, we can do it with musicals! We are the ones driving you to your dentists appointment cause you cant learn how to take care of your car so f-cking deal with it!" and we turn the music back up. We would never do that if we had a friend in the car though....

You see where I'm coming from? When we become friends with those who aren't big showtune fans, they make fun of Mischa for being a drag queen and for being gay and for dancing on point and/or ballet....they just stare and point and laugh. They make jokes. Does he care? No but just because he doesnt care doesnt mean we are gonna try and make friends with those people....

For once, we want to be like Paris Hilton and her BFF...we want others to join our little bubble that we have going when it comes to musical theater. For once, it would be nice to be "the popular crowd" in school but since I'm not in school anymore, there'd be no point to it. The only way to become part of the musical theater crowd is to actually know musicals and have taken dance for years. Not many have because well....dance is expensive.

Sorry for the rant but now you understand why we wanna be friends with people who are musical theater freaks? They just understand us better
I do see where you're coming from. People can be extremely judgmental and unfair! I know it can be hard to not be judgmental toward people who are judgmental toward you. But not everyone who listens mostly to modern music is going to judge you just because you have different tastes than most people.

Example: Most of my friends are fans of Miley Cyrus. Personally, I can't stand her stuff (music/acting/the fact that she keeps calling KIIS FM to tell Ryan Seacrest about her personal life, like it matters.) That doesn't mean I have to automatically hate my friends just because I don't like the same celebrities they do. We get along because we respect each other's opinions, and make compromises on what we do when we hang out together.

I'm not saying you have to make friends with different types of people, but expanding your horizons probably wouldn't hurt! And like I said, you can always frequent community theaters and get involved in acting/singing/dancing to get in touch with people who are a part of the musical theater community!

Best of luck to you and your friend! And, for the record, not all people stereotype male ballet dancers like that. Many do, but if someone is a good friend they won't.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 6th 2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
I do see where you're coming from. People can be extremely judgmental and unfair! I know it can be hard to not be judgmental toward people who are judgmental toward you. But not everyone who listens mostly to modern music is going to judge you just because you have different tastes than most people.

Example: Most of my friends are fans of Miley Cyrus. Personally, I can't stand her stuff (music/acting/the fact that she keeps calling KIIS FM to tell Ryan Seacrest about her personal life, like it matters.) That doesn't mean I have to automatically hate my friends just because I don't like the same celebrities they do. We get along because we respect each other's opinions, and make compromises on what we do when we hang out together.

I'm not saying you have to make friends with different types of people, but expanding your horizons probably wouldn't hurt! And like I said, you can always frequent community theaters and get involved in acting/singing/dancing to get in touch with people who are a part of the musical theater community!

Best of luck to you and your friend! And, for the record, not all people stereotype male ballet dancers like that. Many do, but if someone is a good friend they won't.

1st, I agree with you on Miley Cyrus
2nd, My point about male ballet dancers is that most of them are married to the women they dance with on-stage....
3rd, if you have ANY idea....ANY clue how hard it is to get accepted into a show or even just for an understudy....you just dont even know. I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to getting in touch with people. The most people I know is my ex fiance's mother who is part of the OBC of "Working" (and THAT musical was a flop....her name is Lenora Nemetz. She also just opened up for "Gypsy" in NYC not too long ago...) other than her, I know nobody. I cant just waltz into a theater and say, "I'd like to get more involved with the arts! Can I sit in on today's rehearsal?" they'd throw me out in a heartbeat and I would have ruined my chances there....The arts is crucial, more crucial than people think. Broadway is THE most competitive career people are trying to go for and its also THE hardest thing to do because you're doing all singing, acting AND dancing. Ballet is so strict and structured. Point is worse, tap is kinda fun when you aren't confused and jazz is like a modernized ballet but in 1920's style...so many rules and so little memory to concentrate on each rule. There aren't any playhouses for me around here. I may have the talent but I dont have the credentials, (not enough to get into anything at least...) Anyway....thats why I want friends who are musical theater fanatics so they can help me get back into theater again, maybe musical theater fanatics would actually have contacts useful to my friend and I.

Its so hard for me NOT to be negative when all I've heard my whole life IS negativity.....(especially if you live where I live....you'd find it hard to find friends who have the same interest in you....)
The only place I ever found friends who were interesting in talking to me were the ones I made at college but I cant afford to go to college anymore....

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 6th 2009, 06:58 PM

So, the problem is that you just don't have enough people around you with similar goals/interests to yours. It's great that you already have one friend who you can go through this with. Is it at all possible for you to get back in touch with some of the people you went to college with, if you haven't already?

I can't tell you exactly what to do. Like you said, I don't know the business. All I can suggest is that you keep your eyes open for new opportunities and don't let anything pass you by.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 7th 2009, 03:55 PM

My best friend doesnt exactly have the same dreams as I do....he wanted to be a dancer on broadway at one point but then he found out he has severe tendonitis and degenerative arthritis in his kneecaps.....so he kinda cant dance anymore and since he found that out, he's just been kinda....dead inside I guess you can say. He still encourages me to follow my dreams. He always tell me, "Its one thing for me to give up....I couldn't help it but for you to give up, girl if you give up in anything, I'll have to smack some sense into you!" lol

Thanks for your advice =)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 7th 2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Galahad View Post
omg all i listen to is musicals (and i'm a goth ) ! despite my friends hatered of them that doesn't stop me playing songs from the LOUDLY in public lol i also got a few of my straight guy friends to admit Chris Sieber is hot, ^^

Broadway junkie if your ever in need of some musical convos, pm me or just ask for my msn

Mistress Galahad, you can PM me anytime you want to and we can talk about musicals all the time if you want =D that would be awesome

(#10 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Dont have many friends..... - August 7th 2009, 06:15 PM

BroadwayJunkie,
I listen to music other than broadway and musicals, but seriously, PM me sometime or something. I can always use more to add to my collection. I'm a theater person, I don't act, but I am a techie and I understand the stress it can put on you. Not to the point of auditions and the like, but many of my friends act and trust me, I've seen them go through a lot of stress with it.
Also, if someone doesn't like you for the music you like, who gives a crap about them? They don't deserve to be your friend.
Lastly, I'm sorry for your friend having to give up his dream. I'm happy, however, that he still feels able to support you in continuing the dream you both had. That's very sweet of him.
Em

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
Closed Thread