TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
noudaho Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joanna Richards

Angry economical depression - August 23rd 2009, 08:42 PM

my dad lost his job about a year and a half ago. and i'm angry at him. i feel like he won't get off his ass and look for a job, even though he has. i'm pissed because we can't afford a quarter of the things my friends buy. and i want a car. its been a long time since my sixteenth birthday and i want a goddamn car! how will i afford college? and then i feel guilty for wanting things we can't afford and start to feel depressed. then i lash out at my parents at the smallest things. i can't stop this feeling of bile in my throat when i think of being poor. and we're not even poor because then i think of families in africa and china who it would be a miracle for if they had our life. so i'm in a circle of depression and anger. msot of it is directed toward my family because i won't dare tell my friends my father is unemployed because i'm ashamed. there i said it.

what can i do?

some background info:
i live in a very stable family, my parents don't fight all the time, i have an older sister in college and a younger brother in middle school. we've always been fine until this fucking economy problem. and i just lately started acting this way toward my family.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MandaPanda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amandaa

Re: economical depression - August 24th 2009, 08:54 PM

Ahh, I know how you feel. I live in toronto and my dads been unemployed for... about a year and a few months now..
It really REALLY pisses me off when he gets all depressed and says "were in trouble blah blah" because HE should be the one looking for a job instead of moping around and being depressed and stupid and then I feel bad when i spazz at him and tell him that sitting and stareing at the tv isnt gnna do shit all.
Sorry, haha, i got worked up there.

But I know exactly how you feel, just try to tough it out. The recession is almost over, so I've heard. Just remember that there are a lot more people out there that dont have homes anymore, let alone a job.
Dont worry that you cant afford a quarter of the things your friends have, that doesnt matter, even though it seems like it does.
just think of how happy and excited youll be when you get that nice shiny new car ;] haha

"BadBoys,BadBoys,All we want is BadBoys"
"but just know that she’ll be thinking of me,even when she’s with you"

-Cobra Starship<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: economical depression - August 24th 2009, 09:42 PM

My mother has been unemployed for I think a couple years now. She basically refuses to get a job. It's really sad because I'm on my third job. While I was living with her still (Which I moved out the night of my birthday) I was working while she wasn't. Her KIDS have jobs, but she doesn't. Seriously. It's sad because we pretty much had to rely on ourselves to get the things we wanted. I'm lucky right now because my boyfriend supports me, I work too, but mostly he takes care of me =) I'm a very lucky girl. Even my boyfriend paid for half of my sisters car. He doesn't just take care of me, he helps my sister, too. It's sad that my mother can't even find it within herself to see that.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
noudaho Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joanna Richards

Re: economical depression - August 25th 2009, 01:38 AM

thanks a lot you guys, it's nice to hear that other people have the same problem as me. well notnice exactly, but comforting to know that i'm not the only one going through this. i'll try to keep my chin up.

joanna

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: economical depression - August 25th 2009, 01:49 AM

You're upset because you can't afford a car? Or pay for university? Get a job yourself, I know plenty of people who who get all their stuff themselves and they're not even 18. Heck, I even know someone who payed for their own 18th birthday party! And this isn't to sound mean or anything, but YOU want something then YOU should go out and get a job then YOU can pay for it. It doesn't sound like your family has any issues, this makes it sound like it's only you that has a problem with it. It's just selfishness tbh.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: economical depression - August 25th 2009, 02:26 AM

Yep, get a job. You might have to if you want the things you want. If you work part time you can make a few HUNDRED dollars. You can live off that. At least I can.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread