TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Idealistical Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Was I being selfish? - August 28th 2009, 06:35 PM

I had no idea where to put this...sorry if it's in the wrong forum? (It might have belonged a bit better in the Death and Grieving section...but I felt kind of bad putting it there since this isn't anything very serious compared to other people)

I recently heard that one of my high school teachers would be retiring because she had had a cancer relapse (not too serious as of now, but still a relapse). The previous year I had done kind of badly in her class because of my own mistakes, and I really wanted to prove to her that I could do well. So, when I heard the news about her retirement, the first thing I felt was disappointment that I would now be unable to redeem myself. Does that make me a selfish person? =( Should I have been more immediately concerned for her well-being (I AM, but it wasn't my very first reaction)? Maybe I'm just over-analyzing myself, but this kind of thing always makes me feel bad...

Which brings me to my next question. In general, is it normal to feel kind of desensitized about these kinds of matters? I have lived a fairly cushioned life when it comes to things like cancer and disease, even death. It's not something I have been exposed to much. But I feel like I should have been more concerned for my teacher, since cancer is devastating, even if it hasn't necessarily become very serious yet. But I think that deep down, a subconscious part of me believes that she will be alright, that nothing bad could REALLY possibly happen. Maybe I just haven't really experienced loss yet, so I don't really understand? But I still feel like a bad person...what do you think? ><

(#2 (permalink)) Old
volleyballx19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: Was I being selfish? - August 30th 2009, 02:40 PM

Hey. I don't think that it is a bad thing that feeling bad for her wasn't your first thought. If I were you, the first thing that would come to my mind is "I really didn't do great in her class and since she's retiring, now I can't show her how well I can really do." You are not being selfish, especially if you DO care about her and her well-being. And I'm very proud of you for believing she will be okay. I can relate to you since I havent been too exposed to death and disease. Nobody in my family has passed away, and if they have, it was before I was even born.
Good Luck!

"It's amazing what you can hide just by putting on a smile."

"Every story has an end, but in life every end is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Was I being selfish? - August 30th 2009, 05:54 PM

I don't think you are being selfish; it just seems to me that you were a bit taken aback by her retirement and because you've wanted that chance to redeem yourself for so long, this must have been your first thought.

The fact you believe she will be alright means you do care for her and that you are just being positive about the situation - there is nothing wrong with that. Some people can be very sensitive and will often prepare for the worst but you are being very brave about this and i seriously don't think you are being selfish at all.

I hope your teacher will be alright!
Take care,
x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Was I being selfish? - September 1st 2009, 05:29 AM

I really don't think it's a bad thing at all. Thoughts come to us in all different directions at different times, and sometimes you can't control which ones come your way first. I don't think it was selfish at all to want to redeem yourself. I believe you found it to be something nice to do for your teacher - to show her that she helped you or influenced you in some way.
And I understand what you mean about the desensitizing. When my Grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer, for example, I didn't cry. I had a feeling she would get over it, and sometimes it's really difficult for me to feel upset about serious things. I think a lot of people have that issue. Maybe it's a way for the brain to kind of avoid stress or trauma. Then again, maybe some people just KNOW when things are going to be okay.
Best of luck!
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lyricfreak Offline
lyricfeak
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lisa

Re: Was I being selfish? - September 13th 2009, 06:21 AM

I don't think you were being selfish, sometimes the best way to deal with this stuff is to distract yourself in other things, eg you proving yourself.
Maybe your brain is doing this of its own accord.

When push comes to shove, you feel bad for her anyway, but dont worry about it too much. x

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."
Mother Teresa

"If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child."
Linda Sunshine

"He who sings scares away his woes."
Cervantes

Send a message via MSN to lyricfreak  
Closed Thread