TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

High school. Lunch. - September 4th 2009, 09:01 PM

All's well, I'm over the idea of making threads asking people, in general terms, "how do you make friends?". I know it's up to me whether I make friends, and I simply may not, and that's fine.

But I do have a specific question. Huzzah!

If people mention where they sit at lunch, and say you can sit there "if you're interested", and you do, and nothing happens (you make basic conversation but we haven't... discovered anything in common or whatever should've, ideally, happened), is it okay to sit with them again? It's mainly one girl who was nice enough to mention where they were sitting at lunch and make some conversation with me when I sat there. [I'm new there, by the way, which is why I know them as well as anyone else at the school- which is basically not at all]
Is it intrusive to sit there once or twice again? If it's too awkward I'll stop, obviously, but these are a few girls who I have some classes with and I want to give it a fucking chance (but I also know how obnoxious clingy people are and don't want to come across as one).

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: High school. Lunch. - September 4th 2009, 09:30 PM

Nah go ahead and sit there again, get to know them a little better this time
Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: High school. Lunch. - September 4th 2009, 09:30 PM

Hi Beth,

If you want to give this a chance, then go for it! I don't think it would be clingy at all to sit with them again and make some conversation. Maybe they do have some interests that are similar to yours, but they haven't mentioned them yet. And if you can't think of anything to talk about, then there is always the topic of school.

I think that asking questions is a really good way to get to know people. I'll bet you've done a bit of this already, but I know that asking questions is a sure fire way to get to know a person and get them talking. When you hit a subject they are interested in, then just go with it and do your best to add your perspective and ask more about what they think.

Find out what they like to do in their spare time or what movies they like. Maybe you could invite them over sometime to your house to hang out.

I hope that everything goes well for you!

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: High school. Lunch. - September 4th 2009, 09:32 PM

Get to know them. Ask them their names, if they have any brothers or sisters, find out if they like some bands that you like. Once you find something you have in common, that's even more conversation! Plus you'll likely make friends.
Best of luck

Matt.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: High school. Lunch. - September 4th 2009, 10:24 PM

Hey

I think it would be okay for you to sit with them for lunch again. Maybe if you are worried about it you could just ask "do you mind if I sit with you guys again?" or something to that effect. It might be a good idea to just listen to what they talk about and then just add in your thoughts on the matter or ask them questions about things. I agree with Nat in that the best way to be friends with people is to ask questions about things; people generally like to talk about themselves and then when you know more about them you will know what your shared interests are [if any].

PM // VM

Closed Thread