TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZiggyOtaku Offline
Ziggy~
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure if this goes here, I couldn't really find a specific section to put this in.

Say you lived in an apartment complex and you knew one of your neighbors to the extent you've talked to them a good amount of times and ran into them a few times and said hello and asked how you were etc etc

If that neighbor came to you with a plate of a good sized portion of homemade mac and cheese and explained to you that they made too much for themselves and their significant other to eat and wanted to give you some so it didn't go to waste - would you be weirded out?

I asked two of my friends, but ones not very social and the other one is foreign - and they both said they'd be weirded out.

The truth is - I made this mac and cheese and its SOO good. But while it was baking I read the fat content of some of the ingredients I put in and this dish is just waay too high in fat content.

My boyfriend isn't a big pasta person and says it's okay but won't eat any lol I'll feel so disgusted with myself if I eat all of this over the next few days.

*Edit*
I edited my wording because after realizing some of your responses I realized I wrote it rather inappropriately. I'm sorry for any misunderstandings.

Last edited by ZiggyOtaku; September 13th 2009 at 01:19 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to ZiggyOtaku Send a message via MSN to ZiggyOtaku  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 08:53 AM

maybe this should have a Trigger Warning on just incase?
ED sufferers may be bothered.

Anyway - what's so wrong about eating it over several days?
It'd be excessive to have it all at once but I don't see how dividing it into...say 7 portions...would make you gain weight. It just wouldnt happen.
I often make large meals e.g a large pan of homemade soup and have it for the whole week.

You're only going to gain weight if you eat it 3 times a day for several months.

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 10:02 AM

Im with Rhia on this one; you should be fine eating that over a few days or so. If you're worried about the high fat content then jus try and make sure the rest of your meals are healthier and eat extra fruit/veg. If you really didn't want to eat it though I don't think it would be especially strange to give it to your neighbours. If somebody brought me some food I might think it was slightly strange but I probably wouldn't give it a second thought!

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 10:23 AM

Hey Brittany!

Yup, totally going with Rhia on this one! I don't really see any harm in splitting into portions and eating it over a period of time! It makes more sense than eating it all in a few goes!! And include, as Jan said some healthier food into your diet as well, like fruits and veggies! Something like pears or apples, oranges...celery really helps!

If you're really worried about this fat thing, then try this. I've tried it and it really works: Eat, like half a grapefruit before your meal, and basically, the fat isn't deposited into your body, it gets burned up. This is, in India, we grapefruit isn't exactly readily available. But it really does work!

and about giving your neighbor food (leftover or excess), I don't see any harm in it!! Nor would I be freaked or weirded out. It's more like a friendly gesture!

Enjoy!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 10:42 AM

I agree, I don't see the problem with eating it over a few days if that's what you wanted to do. And I also don't see the problem with asking your neighbour if they want what is leftover, if you've spoken to them before then I'd see it as a friendly gesture and not something to be weirded out by.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 12:06 PM

It's not weird. It's generous.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ZiggyOtaku Offline
Ziggy~
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dollar Nose Bleed View Post
maybe this should have a Trigger Warning on just incase?
ED sufferers may be bothered.

Anyway - what's so wrong about eating it over several days?
It'd be excessive to have it all at once but I don't see how dividing it into...say 7 portions...would make you gain weight. It just wouldnt happen.
I often make large meals e.g a large pan of homemade soup and have it for the whole week.

You're only going to gain weight if you eat it 3 times a day for several months.
I'm very sorry. I wasn't thinking. I tried to edit to see if I could trigger it but I didn't see anything so I changed the way I worded things. I don't normally care about fat content - but it was just the idea that all of that was going to go into me.

What the focus really was supposed to be was the fact I wanted to give it to a neighbor which I figured would best go into Friends and Family section. Not any ED threads or cooking threads.

Last edited by ZiggyOtaku; September 13th 2009 at 01:23 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to ZiggyOtaku Send a message via MSN to ZiggyOtaku  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Would you be weirded out? - September 13th 2009, 06:21 PM

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for editing your wording. As there are some sensitive users on this site, it is appropriate to word things differently or put a 'triggering' prefix to your post. If users continue to feel that this should have a 'triggering' prefix, then please don't hesitate to message me and I will make sure the prefix is added. As it is, I don't see the post as too much of a problem, but let me know if it concerns you.

I don't think it is weird or strange to give food to neighbours. That is something that happens in my neighbourhood quite often. Just let them know that you made too much and would really like to share to make sure you don't waste it by throwing it away. If your neighbours do happen to be weirded out, then they either will not accept the food, and you could give it to a friend instead, or you could try freezing it and saving it for another meal.

Take care.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread